Any Bikers Out There?

Gringoboy

Registered
Now that I've finally got the bike driving licence and VTV sorted, I don't have to look over my shoulder so much and feel like a day trip maybe on Sunday.
Some good destinations are Lujan, Mercedes or Chascomus.
I ride a Mondial 250 which is a Honda Rebel clone.
Anyone interested in day out?

Frenchie, are you still biking?
http://baexpats.org/topic/10868-bikers-unite/page__hl__bikers

Some good destinations are Lujan, Mercedes or Chascomus.

Hey Gringoboy, I'm not in country yet (and won't be for some time) but I am trying to decide whether it'd be worth it to bring my ZX-6R Ninja. It's older, but because we have at best a seven-month riding season here, the miles are very low and it's got a lot of years left. Now that I've decided to leave the car behind, I'd still like to have a way to explore around outside the city on my own timetable (and without the hassle of renting a car). Day trips of the sort you've described are exactly what I had in mind, so I'd love it if you'd report back on your biking adventures. Cheers!

Thanks mate and bring your bike!
I'm planning a short trip to the Samborombon bay.
Why?
The ill fated Donald Crowhurst secretly dropped his anchor there at the mouth of the Rio Salado in March 1969.
He was competing in the Golden Globe circumnavigation sponsored by The Times.
Records of his secret landfall were kept and since I'm so fascinated with his story and a sailor, I vowed many years ago to go there.
How better than on a bike?
Here is the route:
http://goo.gl/maps/EC3fB

The ill fated Donald Crowhurst secretly dropped his anchor there ...

What an intriguing story. I'm not a very experienced sailor, but I've long been fascinated by solo circumnavigations and have read several books on the subject. Somehow I managed to miss this story tho, so thanks for bringing it to my attention. Incidentally, Wikipedia had a terrific write-up, but it left me wanting to know more about the navigation system Crowhurst was trying to develop.

Samborombon Bay looks like a great motorbike day trip. But am I reading G-maps correctly that there are five toll roads en route? What's up with that? Is it necessary to carry pockets full of change or are electronic passes available? [I fear that might be a stupid question, considering that despite the shortage of change, an alternate payment scheme for public transit has only recently been introduced lol.]

The book you need is: The Strange last voyage of Donald Crowhurst by Nicholas Tomalin and Ron Hall, which is the definitive version.
Crowhurst the Navicator, a radio direction finding device. A brilliant man in so many ways.
Another good read is: A voyage for madmen.

The route would take us on R2 and turn left onto R36 at El Pato, which isn't a toll road.

Hello there!

Yes, I have a bike right now (DR650) but it's kind of tricky to find the time to ride (I mostly use it to go buy diapers, lol...)

Anyway, keep us informed!

Will do Frenchie.
I'm not a speed merchant either.
Usually prefer to arrive in one piece.
Diapers Express! I like that.

Hello there!

Yes, I have a bike right now (DR650) but it's kind of tricky to find the time to ride (I mostly use it to go buy diapers, lol...)

Anyway, keep us informed!
Hey frenchie-san, A Suzuki DR 650 bike? Very sturdy but it was first introduced back in the 90's wasn't it? So you have a "vintage almost" bike, take care of that machine, one day it will worth a few extra bucks! I ride or used to very often but now very subdued riding due to my "anciano" age, but still go out there in my YZ 450,being affiliated with Toyota, got to ride me a Yamaha brands you know. Do they have rental shops there in Argie so a tourist can rent those dirt or moto crosser bikes and possibly join on one of your trips?

Gosh, no idea if you could rent a bike. Maybe some of the BMW or Honda franchises might.
Had a good run down to Chascomus today by way of a recce.
Left Olivos 1130 arrived there 1400, total about 260 kms, so I would say the Rio Salado trip would be around three hours each way.
Excellent roads and a beautiful feeling of freedom.
Saturday or Sunday is the same for me.

Would love to ride a motorbike, had lessons in Ireland but had a little spill on my 4th lesson and never really got back on the horse. Haven't the concentration for it alas!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Gringoboy Travellers Stories 8
Gringoboy Expat Life 0
French jurist Expat Life 5
Gringoboy Expat Life 0
Back