Any comments on the thumbprint scan and photo taken at arrival?

Argento

Registered
Not terribly surprised considering these days, but last time I came to Argentina this wasn't in place, so it was a slight jolt of shock, jet-lagged and had a 2 second fury unleashed by immigration of thumbrint and picture please. Needless to say, they also nearly ripped the passport pages.
"Welcome". :D

Kind of makes you feel like some criminal or something, getting booked or whatnot. Slightly violating. First time in all my travels.

Yeah yeah, for security and all that stuff, but really. :rolleyes:
Following the trails of violating TSA-land.

Of course, how many are going to say "no thanks" and turn back around.

I didn't know this system was in place, and not everyone enjoys going through this process.
If I had known, probably would have made different plans.

Just wanted to post to see what others think.
Some many not mind. Ok.
Wondering if some others didn't feel so hot about it either.
I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Of course this is in the U.S., but one would think possibly Argentina might be free from some of those measures. Guess not.

Not posting to complain, but instead just to hear what others think.
"Don't like it, don't come" is not really a helpful response.
No place is perfect and so it's understandable there will be negatives.
Only making small talk.

Thanks.

The USA started the push to collecting biometrics data for non-citizens, they've been taking photos and thumprints for years. A lot of other countries are following suit. Another requirement from the US is that passports have RFID chips with some personal data stored on them, a lot of countries began including them on new passports over the last few years. I don't like it either, but us peons aren't being asked for opinions.

kurtdillard said:
The USA started the push to collecting biometrics data for non-citizens, they've been taking photos and thumprints for years. A lot of other countries are following suit. Another requirement from the US is that passports have RFID chips with some personal data stored on them, a lot of countries began including them on new passports over the last few years. I don't like it either, but us peons aren't being asked for opinions.

Yeah i'm pretty sure last time i passed through the us (2007 ish) i had my thumbprint and photo taken.

They also didn't take my visa out when i left the country so when i passed back through they got quite upset that i still had a temporary visa whilst entering the country.

I was told i may have problems in the future :eek:

Pretty standard in the US and so I don't see why that practise wouldn't travel further down.

It's annoying as a tourist but I'm sure those seeking citizenship can help their claims by being the people at the airport, with their passport, and by being the people in the offices of immigration, with their person.

I'm actually surprised Argentina didn't adopt such a process earlier as it makes sense to me to do so when there is so much political sabotage going on all over the world.

Short-term inconvenience vs. overall safety. Seems sound to me.

As far as things that bother me go, this is pretty far down the list.

Argento said:
Kind of makes you feel like some criminal or something, getting booked or whatnot. Slightly violating. First time in all my travels.

The last time I went back I got some sort of flag. I think it was because I changed my flight plans from going to Atlanta to see my brother to going straight home to see my mother in NY 24 hours before the flights.

Well I got the special treatment and honetly I was in shock. There I was shoes off and everything being searched including me.

But the most annoying part for me was the little smirks on the TSA agents faces as if they, in some perverted way seemed to be enjoying the whole thing.

Brazil started doing this around January 1st (or so), 2004.

There were a few stories of people offering up a non-preferred finger to the people at immigration and were then arrested before being sent back to the US. I was going to Brazil in February of that year and was told to provide either a thumb or index finger (whichever they were asking for) rather than any fingers further down the line if I wanted to attend the nuptials.

It's the way it is. It's the wave of the future. It's "for our safety", and maybe it really is.

I passed through EZE in the end of march and didnt have finger prints or photo taken, maybe its only for USA citizens, infact since i been coming here over the past 5 1/2 years never had it happen.

Never had it happen in GRU either, and passed through there maybe 10 times (not transit, stopped off for 2 to 4 days each time) in last 4 years, but i have seen it happen to others.

The only place i have had my finger prints and pic taken is the USA.

davonz said:
I passed through EZE in the end of march and didnt have finger prints or photo taken, maybe its only for USA citizens, infact since i been coming here over the past 5 1/2 years never had it happen.

Never had it happen in GRU either, and passed through there maybe 10 times (not transit, stopped off for 2 to 4 days each time) in last 4 years, but i have seen it happen to others.

The only place i have had my finger prints and pic taken is the USA.

Just curious, are you a U.S. citizen? Are you Argentine?
I was under the impression that U.S. citizens would not get the print & photo procedure when going to the U.S.
If you are Argentine, it might also make sense why you did not have this happen at EZE recently, thinking it's just for non-Argentines.

Thanks for the other comments by the way.
I'm not terribly bothered, there are more things in life to be concerned about, but was just interested about it and looking to see what others had to say and their experiences.

Everyone gets a mug shot and thumb print in and out of EZE. I would hate to see my mug shot after spending 11 hours on the plane. If it is anything like how I feel, it is bad.

For travel to US, suggest applying for Global Entry program. It is sweet. Through immigration, customs in 10 minutes or less.No lines. My longest wait is for luggage.

Back