Any Definite Answer On Grass Fed Beef

polostar88

Registered
I've checked the threads in the past on this forum, and I don't see any definite answers on a butchery that sells grass-fed beef. I'm not talking about restaurants that claim to do so, or about chicken or eggs, but butcheries where I can buy my own beef (and pork, lamb, etc., as well, but mainly BEEF).

The butchery I use, Covadonga, claims to sell grass-fed beef and I believe it is so but I'd like to confirm by comparing it to another one that is well-known for this and that makes it a point to advertise that they do.

I used google and found a variety of articles about butcheries in Buenos Aires but none that answer this question. Would be great to know from some expats who have been here for years if they know of a butchery that is for sure 100% grass-fed and -finished beef. This would also be useful for many members, as the question apparently keeps coming up, but no definite, certain answers are ever given.

Any & every butcher in the city

- Is that grass fed?

- Si senor.

If you can find one that will say "no, better go and buy somewhere else" i'll show you a butcher that's going out of business sharpish.

No one knows, what I have been told is that the economics strongly favour leaving the cow to graze on grass for the majority of it's life, then a short period (few months) of feed lot fattening before market.

Estancia Maria Angela´s butcher shops have the best meat in town, grass feed, with several branches.

It is easy to recognize the grass feed watching the meat. Not only the color, also the distribution and quantity of "instertitial" fat. And once the meat was cooked the taste is different.

There is a good article with photos that explains about this subject, written by a recognized gastronomic journalist. Here is the link ( written in Spanish) http://fondodeolla.com/carne-vacuna-feedlot-pasto/

does that account for feedlot vs grass fed and finished in feedlot vs pure grass fed.

Again, a beef farmer here told me the predominant method (here & in uruguay) is the 2nd option as it is the most economic. You can call you produce grass fed too.

Not as black and white as you are making out.

I just found another article related to this subject, which mentions the quality of the fat and the stress of the animal: http://fondodeolla.com/carne-vacuna-sistema-pastoril-versus-feed-lot/

I just found another article related to this subject, which mentions the quality of the fat and the stress of the animal: http://fondodeolla.c...ersus-feed-lot/

Which doesnt answer the question. As per a cattle farmer here, most beef is finished in a feed lot having spent it's life eating grass.

Can you tell the difference? I don't know.

Does that constitute "grass fed?" I don't know

The point. You don't know that what you are buying as "grass fed" isn't indeed grass fed for 80% of it's life, last few months spent bulking up in a feed lot.

Indeed the fat of grass fed cows is off-white or even yellowish. Same with chickens...the skin should be yellowish, not white.

Thanks for the info. Roxana I will check Maria Angela. The point is to find a carniceria that is "widely recognized" to be grass-fed or that makes a point of advertising this. You've answered my question.

Go to the farm and watch the cow grow up roaming free and then watch them kill it for you on the spot... that is the only way to be sure. Otherwise how can you trust somebody's word?

Risky. Cows has to pass the senasa inspection for being safe for humans. They check the liver and other places looking for parasites. If they find them, the cow is burn.

Indeed the fat of grass fed cows is off-white or even yellowish. Same with chickens...the skin should be yellowish, not white.

Thanks for the info. Roxana I will check Maria Angela. The point is to find a carniceria that is "widely recognized" to be grass-fed or that makes a point of advertising this. You've answered my question.

Yellow fat means that the cow is old as far as i know.

Back