Any expats here been able to fully get rid of their accent?

Fiscal

Registered
Like Dustin Luke style, to the point people assume you're a native?

One of the things I find appealing about people from other lands is their accent when speaking English. I hope it's one of the things Argentines like about my castellano. In one instance I know it is. I'm often being cornered into using some of the words she likes to hear me say. It can be very Fish Called Wanderish.

i will never be able to shake the yanqui accent. even words i think i'm saying perfectly get picked apart easily haha.

I remember years ago when I asked my wife (who is Argentine) if she liked turrón (the nougat candy). She didn't understand me. I tried several times (thinking at that time my spanish was pretty decent), but still no understanding. We walked by a storefront in Barcelona that sold turrón, and I excitedly pointed to it and said "turrón!". She looked at me and said "oh, turrón", rolling her r's a bit more, and shortening the vowel sound of -ón...I was shocked that she hadn't understand the way I had pronounced it...but learned that even small differences in pronunciation can make a big difference to native speakers. Recently, she called me and told me about an email she had received from Cee-Lo. Cee-Lo, I said? Why would you have received an email from Cee-Lo? She said it was related to a house she had looked at online. After trying to find out why she was looking to buy one of Cee-Lo Green's houses, I realized she meant "Zillow". Haha!!

I remember years ago when I asked my wife (who is Argentine) if she liked turrón (the nougat candy). She didn't understand me. I tried several times (thinking at that time my spanish was pretty decent), but still no understanding. We walked by a storefront in Barcelona that sold turrón, and I excitedly pointed to it and said "turrón!". She looked at me and said "oh, turrón", rolling her r's a bit more, and shortening the vowel sound of -ón...I was shocked that she hadn't understand the way I had pronounced it...but learned that even small differences in pronunciation can make a big difference to native speakers. Recently, she called me and told me about an email she had received from Cee-Lo. Cee-Lo, I said? Why would you have received an email from Cee-Lo? She said it was related to a house she had looked at online. After trying to find out why she was looking to buy one of Cee-Lo Green's houses, I realized she meant "Zillow". Haha!!

Exactly the same in our house.

when i first met my argie girlfriend, she was telling me a little about herself and that she played "bolleyball" when she was younger. i kept asking her, what sport?? for the life of me i had no idea what sport she was referring to, i thought maybe it was some argie thing i never heard of.

then i realized she meant Volleyball, with a "V" hahaha. so, we both can laugh at each other's pronunciations sometimes.

The real Question is "English native speakers that have lost their english accent in Porteño Spanish·" If you learned Spanish in Spain or Puerto Rico, or Mexico, you will have that accent.

English speakers tend to apply the Law of the Funnel (The wide part for me...o_O) when judging non native English speakers .

I hear English speaking journalists that speak Spanish reporting from Cuba or Guatemala , with a very pronounced Foreign Accent ....:rolleyes:
A Spanish speaker reporting in English with a strong accent is severely criticized and sometimes not accepted.Or ridiculed. IMHO:rolleyes:

I have never met one expat that had a clear porteno accent . The nuances in the language combined with the distinctive accent make it very hard to imitate . The best spanish is the educated Peruvian or Mexican which is famous for being clear , concise, and the closest to the mother tongue .

Dustin Luke has made a business out of Argentina and speaking with the cadence of Lunfardo infused sing song italian rythym Rio Platense Spanish This is his mother trying to speak Rio Platense spanish very funny .

Last edited:
Back