Any ideas? - unemployed.......

Davidglen77

Registered
For those of you who know of me, since I closed my store down last year, I decided not to start any new business ventures for now and look for a job. I was working at one small company doing their financials, HR and office managment and the owner got so tired of the constant problems here that she packed up and went back to the USA. All of the clients were in the US and she couldn't wire money into the country. Then I got a job doing sales, marketing, translations, etc for a USA based company, that decided after 4 months to restructure and not continue the Argentina project. So here I am looking for work again. If anybody has any ideas for me, I would really appreciate them. I am 42 (I know thats old for here jajaja) have lots of business experience, translation both written and oral, have worked in both banking and am very technology savvy. I am also fully bilingual and I am a permanent resident with a DNI. Any leads would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all.......

DG, I dont have any leads for you, just want to wish you luck and hope you find something soon.

maybe on a temporary basis, english teaching till you get something better

if you are a people person and are business and IT savvy, should be no problem

I teach full time and run a virtual team of 10 teachers

minimum pay per hour is 50 pesos which is something

i could recommend which institutes to avoid or flock too

through teaching, you may get something else

most of my students are either high ranking bank people or own IT start ups

hope this helps

ben milne

ben milne said:
maybe on a temporary basis, english teaching till you get something better

if you are a people person and are business and IT savvy, should be no problem

I teach full time and run a virtual team of 10 teachers

minimum pay per hour is 50 pesos which is something

i could recommend which institutes to avoid or flock too

through teaching, you may get something else

most of my students are either high ranking bank people or own IT start ups

hope this helps

ben milne

I'd definitely consider teaching, I currently teach an english workshop at a community center as a volunteer and I have done lots and lots of translations, legal, technical, etc.

Do you need to work or need to full in your day.

You are in the naughty forties, so be naughty.

If i was in your position i would:
Do stuff i have been putting off for ages.
Learn some new things/skills.
Send the wife/husband out to work.
Take my time looking for opportunities and network.

If you have worked for yourself before, why go back to being an employee. Even though things are getting tough now, this is when the best opportunities are likely to show themselves.

I am a natural born lazy bastard (i try to work as little as possible for as much as possible), so maybe its not the best idea listening to me !!!

davonz said:
If you have worked for yourself before, why go back to being an employee. Even though things are getting tough now, this is when the best opportunities are likely to show themselves.

I am a natural born lazy bastard (i try to work as little as possible for as much as possible), so maybe its not good listening to me !!!

I would love to work for myself again. I thought of opening another store smaller and easier to manage than I had before. However I am SO scared of the corruption, the inspectors coming around making up reasons to close you down if you don't pay bribes, they did it to me when I had my last shop and I don't know how I would react if they did it to me again. It was very scary and I never cried so hard or felt so hopeless and helpless in my life. Then to compound that for reporting them you get harrassed. I know I will bounce back at some point, but not ready just yet. Anyway thanks for your suggestions, cheers!

There's a marketing organization called Empresa Gloss in Palermo Hollywood. They've been growing even in this economic debacle. They put on events for major organizations and is owned by some twenty-somethings from Argentina. They've had interns working on helping them with their financials but had shown interest in actually hiring someone to keep it going as they don't have anyone else doing it. Not sure if that is still a plan of theirs but might be worth a call to get a CV in front of them.

prunes61 said:
I've always thought a temp maid service would be a good business. People always seem to be in need of maids, even on a temp part time basis. Get one or 2 good maids to be your training staff, get some decent insurance, place an ad.
Good idea! If he doesn´t do it, I will!:p

That is a good idea! I may need to remember that one for when I get back home. I'm always looking for ways to subsidize paying for school and that may be a great way.:)

Back