Any rules about moving fruit and vegetables from one part of the country to another?

elhombresinnombre

Registered
Google hasn't helped me to find out anything about this though of course I'm fully aware of the restrictions on moving plants, meats and food products etc from one country to another. I know that there are strict restrictions on moving fruit and vegetables between states and territories in (for instance) Australia, and wondered if the same applied anywhere here? I also wondered if the airlines have their own regulations about this?

The background for the question is a trip we are shortly making to Bariloche and El Bolson (via Aerolineas) where we are not going to use the included hold baggage allowance and are idly wondering about using that spare allowance to bring back some seasonal fruit for making jam etc.

Oh: and if it is okay, is there anything that says it's okay rather than the general absence of anything that says that it's not?

Thanks

As far as i know, fresh fruits and vegetables are not allowed from one province to another, however, you can bring home made jams and such, as long as they are labeled.(cans or jars)
I don't have and first hand experience on domestic flights on this matter, but i do recall a sanitary check point at brazo largo when you cross into Entre Rios, at that time also applied to salted cured meats,i hope this helps,
Enjoy your trip!

just went to mendoza and san juan through san luis - driving, all 3 provinces had sanitary checkpoints ( and they charge you for the control ) - no fruits or veggies allowed 'incoming'. No controls on the way back home through San Luis and Cordoba - according to the locals they only control what's coming into the agricultural zonas - go figure. Last year came from Brazilian side of Iguazu with a trunk full of tropical fruits - some 50 kg and were stopped and checked a few times and nobody cared. Last april went to Bariloche and El Bolson with Aerolineas, brought back a huge bag of rosa mosqueta - nobody asked any questions in aeroparque. Which doesn't mean that you are safe - so decide how much money you are willing to lose in case the customs want your fruit for themselves.

Back