Any Tips For Tango Shows?

Huxley1234

Registered
I have a friend visiting from out of town and she loves dance. She wants to hit up a good tango show -- something not super touristy if possible (i.e. Tortoni is a "no")

What are you opinions on this... What's the best tango show to take someone to? Thanks!

My guests went to Sabor A Tango and really liked it. The theatre dates back to the late 1800's. I knew one of the couples dancing in it until recently and they made it to the semis of the mundial stage tango so I figure the standard of dancing must be good. Also, you don't have to have dinner if you don't want to.
http://www.saboratango.com.ar

Be nice to see both. The stage tango and salon tango are worlds apart. It's probably best to reserve online but you could call up and ask.

My guests have always enjoyed La Ventana. The downstairs theatre is better than the upstairs theatre. Skip the dinner and just go for the show.

All the shows are touristy. Skip the "show" and take her to a neighborhood milonga. :)

Agree. Only tourists attend Tango Porteno, Esquina Gardel, Senor Tango, and all the others. Locals can't afford 600+ pesos for a dinner show.

The portenos who dance all their lives aren't interested in tango acrobatics on stage. They know tango as a feeling that is danced.

My recommendation for your friend to see the real thing:

Palermo -- Salon Canning, Scalabrini Ortiz 1331 on Sunday 6-11hs admission 30 pesos. These are serious dancers who kept tango alive as a social dance since the forties. No flying legs here.

I agree with above suggestion re Flamma Flamma. We went to the matinee on Friday afternoon and it was excellent, couldn't recommend it highly enough and all for 25 pesos.

My guests have always enjoyed La Ventana. The downstairs theatre is better than the upstairs theatre. Skip the dinner and just go for the show.

I never recommend anything but La Ventana, unless they are very rich and truly love Tango. Then they can go to the Faena so that they can tell everyone back home that they went to the Faena. B)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jantango Expat Life 1
A Expat Life 7
F Expat Life 12
F Expat Life 9
jantango Expat Life 11
Back