Anybody Importing Books Via Amazon.com To Ba

Ceviche

Registered
Lately, I have got bored of digital books and smell of paper and reading books in real form, has taken over me, like a obsession.

Though I travel frequently to US, usually the trips are impromptu trips plus I usually travel with a extremely small ( tiny) hand bag with very bare minimums. Its helps me to be in total control throughout my travel.

I want to buy about 30-35 odd books..and import them via amazon.com.

Obstacles? suggestions? thanks

Lately, I have got bored of digital books and smell of paper and reading books in real form, has taken over me, like a obsession.

Though I travel frequently to US, usually the trips are impromptu trips plus I usually travel with a extremely small ( tiny) hand bag with very bare minimums. Its helps me to be in total control throughout my travel.

I want to buy about 30-35 odd books..and import them via amazon.com.

Obstacles? suggestions? thanks

Do you want to order from Amazon USA? If so, Amazon shipping from the US to Argentina can be expensive, particularly since there is a US$5.00 charge per book in addition to the regular shipping charges. As well, you may encounter the usual Argentine post office obstacles if ordering more than one book. As you want to order 30 or more books, Amazon would package as many books as possible into each box; and the larger the box, the more likely that Correo Argentino would not deliver the boxes to your residence. There are now just too many incidents reported where people have encountered incredible difficulties in receiving large packages/boxes, books or otherwise.

If I'm not mistaken, Amazon doesn't offer Standard Shipping to Argentina, thus the final cost of a large book shipment will be even more expensive.

However, if you make a trip to the US, without checked baggage, and have the books shipped to a US address prior to your return to BA, you could pack your books into one or two large boxes and check them as luggage. This has worked for me on several occasions, and customs at Ezeiza never even bothered to ask what is in the boxes.

If you're interested in finding books in English in BA, allow me to suggest Walrus Books in San Telmo, located on Estados Unidos near the corner of Peru. This is an outstanding bookstore with a large variety of books, most of which are in good to excellent condition, and the prices are very reasonable. I cannot recommend enough this terrific bookstore.

The book club used to have a free book exchange until most of us went digital. But might be something to do at our next meeting.
Also I would be happy to lend you some books from my library

For my friend turned out quite bad. 30 books will never go through customs, you will spend morning in retiro or ezeiza, after messing with afip website. Maybe you won't have to pay anything, but my friend had to pay few hundred pesos. Cost of books at least tripled at the end.. For me, digital it is, since it's free :)

Edit:typo

I'd be interested to know if anyone here has managed to get just one book or any other item shipped to them from Amazon with a modicum of success since the restrictions began in 2011.

From 2012 to 2014 I ordered 10-12 books each year. Amazon used Fedex to make delivery. Fedex called me and got my passport/DNI number because AFIP wanted to make sure I wasn't importing for the purposes of selling those books. I got my books on time and without any further hassle. All the books were related to my university education so it was easy to explain away. You ordering 30-35 random books may raise a lot more alarms than mine did. If I were to judge only by my experience without worrying about different circumstances (academic books vs random books), then I would say go for it, I had a very smooth and great experience ;).

If they cost less than 1000 usd shipping included, you have to waste a morning at the international post office at Retiro and to pay the 50% tax.

If they cost less than 1000 usd shipping included, you have to waste a morning at the international post office at Retiro and to pay the 50% tax.
Finally, Bajo admitting openly that this government's policies force us to waste time in mind numbing exercises and to pay exorbitant import taxes for the pleasure of so doing.
Good for you Nico, I might just try that for the hell of it.

Back