Anybody tried to open a bank account online without DNI, but with a CDI?

SinPulgas

Registered
I have a friend that is trying to open a bank account and it will be a while before she has her DNI. I sent her links to the threads where people successfully opened accounts with CDI, but I was wondering if anybody tried opening an account online with a CDI.

It is possible.

If that person is in BA I'd say come to the coffee chat next week or dm me a whatsapp number and I can go through all the steps, it's quite complicated. And even if you do all the steps, your account may still not work.

My Galicia online banking still doesn't work after many multiple trips over the past 2 months to the branch asking for help. Always with the same answer "someone will call you to fix it". The banks here are simply not setup for someone without a DNI.

The debit card they issued however, after wrangling with the branch personnel, does function for depositing cash into your bank account and making purchases locally.

Sorry, just saw where you specified online. No it's not possible online if you are without a DNI. Prex Argentina will allow you to open an account with Precaria and a CUIL, but not CDI and passport, I don't think any of the others (Brubank, traditional brick and mortar banks) will allow a purely online account opening without going into the branch and showing your documents.

Last edited:
Here is the map ffrom russian community with the reviews. You will need to translate it for sure

Went into a Banco Galicia branch in person in a provincial capital today, and was not able to even get started opening an account with CDI / passport.

I believe the guy would have helped me if he could, he was polite and kind, even apologetic, but according to him the problem is primarily with their systems, rather than a lack of will to do so... he said that before the pandemic, it had been possible for them to do so. So this clearly applies to online as well, since apparently the same system is ultimately used whether you apply online or in a branch.

This was in spite of my showing him the mandate given by the Banco Central, that states that "financieras" are obligated to open accounts for foreign clients and that there is not really any good reason under the law for them NOT to do so, if they can supply CDI and passport.

Will try again in the famous B.A. branch at some point in time.

Last edited:
Went into a Banco Galicia branch in person in a provincial capital today, and was not able to even get started opening an account with CDI / passport.

I believe the guy would have helped me if he could, he was polite and kind, even apologetic, but according to him the problem is primarily with their systems, rather than a lack of will to do so... he said that before the pandemic, it had been possible for them to do so. So this clearly applies to online as well, since apparently the same system is ultimately used whether you apply online or in a branch.

This was in spite of my showing him the mandate given by the Banco Central, that states that "financieras" are obligated to open accounts for foreign clients and that there is not really any good reason under the law for them NOT to do so, if they can supply CDI and passport.
I wouldn't recommend Galicia, even if you can open the account the online banking doesn't work. So you can't pay your utility bills online or make transferencias. Basically useless

Back