Anyone been charged the 15% yet?

qpaso

Registered
So I went away Wednesday in relative calm to Iguazu only to return last night to find out about this whole 15% tax on credit cards / foreign purchases!!

I´m planning to go to Miami in October but if the new charge is going to be introduced then, I will head out at the end of September. Now I am hearing that it is already in effect! Can anyone confirm they have been charged? I know you have to be crazy to try but maybe Clarin or one of the newspapers has reported if it´s in place yet or not.

FYI - Yesterday at the duty free shop in Iguazu I paid 4.67 on us$ purchases - everything is marked up in us$ but you can pay with your card or in cash. Booze and ciggies are pretty well priced but everything else is crazy expensive. Also on the Brazil side, they took pesos at .30

Noone will be able to confirm that they have been charged the 15% until card statements go out in august, that include the 15% retention on all foreign purchases...

Really, it is just more leg work if you are employed legally in Argentina, as it is a retention, and you just have to declare it to deduct it from future taxes..Of course if you are not required to pay these taxes due to your income bracket, you are a little complicated - because the AFIP will decide if the money you spent was legally declared and all...

If you are in the black, just accept it as a 15% consumption tax, kind of like IVA, but on goods bought outside of the country! It seems that is how AFIP is treating it...

I was told it comes into effect on all purchases made on and after the 1st of September...so I guess it will all be added onto credit card bills at the end of this month

Apparently it affects all purchases made starting Sep 1 but AFIP won't start charging the 15% on any purchases until Oct 1 including the September purchases. So it will appear on bank and credit card statements end of October i guess...Go figure...

thanks for the answers. I actually got email at work explaining it and posted in the other thread (I didn´t want to hijack that one!)

Back