Anyone Coming From The States (Or Coming Back) Soonish?

lucha54

Registered
Hey gang,

As you may remember my computer got the ol' coffee treatment recently and I am eyeing a replacement on Amazon but it needs to get sent to a US address and brought down, it's the only way.

Are there any kind souls traveling from the states or there and back in the next few weeks who want to do something out of the goodness of their hearts? I can't pay you for the favor but I can cook you whatever you want (Thai! Indian! Mexican!) or arrange something like an open-ended IOU with no expiration date.

Send me a PM if you have any good news! Cheers!! :)

~Lucha

You can buy a new Apple laptop but you cant pay to get it brought down to you? Hmmmmm.....

I agree. To ask someone to bring a laptop and risk getting charged taxes at Ezeiza is a lot to ask someone in exchange for a plate of food. There are many people willing to bring back a laptop for a small fee. I think it's worth your while.

I agree. To ask someone to bring a laptop and risk getting charged taxes at Ezeiza is a lot to ask someone in exchange for a plate of food. There are many people willing to bring back a laptop for a small fee. I think it's worth your while.

Technically, if you were to get charged anything, it would be as simple as asking her to pay for it before you hand her the laptop,

How much do people charge for bringing back a laptop? we just got back from the US a few weeks ago, I brought 2 computers for relatives, and just a few days ago mine died :( I am so upset about this, and keep thinking about the one thread where people were complaining about friends and everybody asking to bring stuff back :( sob sob sob - ooops sorry to hijack the thread with my own request -

No problem, Nikad. Sorry to hear it!! OK let's put it this way...

1) I am not buying a new full-priced computer; nonetheless, of course I could pay someone but unless they really need the money, I am offering a FAVOR in return (note not just offering to cook someone a plate of food but really am willing to help someone out for something else that they may need to show my appreciation and reciprocate - I have a car, could pick them up from the airport, could show them around if they don't know BA, could help them with anything they might need regarding their stay, could bring them something that they or their friends need next time I go abroad, etc etc.)

2) The only people who risk getting charged for bringing in open electronics are locals and people with residency. Of course I wouldn't ask someone in that bracket for this favor nor would I want/expect them to take the risk of getting charged duty.

3) I am probably going to the states at the end of the year but because of work and worry about my only backup disk failing between now and then, I prefer to get a replacement sooner. It's not like I just feel like getting a new computer NOW; mine got destroyed and so I'm asking someone to go slightly out of their way (define this how you wish) to receive something at a physical address and cart a few extra pounds in their pack.

If I can only find someone who will do it for money, ok, how about $50USD? Now let's hear all the arguments about how that's not enough, who the hell do I think I am, and further intelligent analysis about the actual "price" of the "risk" of bringing a 2013-model laptop through customs as a non-resident.... go for it!

I know someone who travels here once a week and has been bringing me computers and different objects for years. I don't know how much he charges for a laptop, you'd have to ask him but he's totally reliable.

I always bring laptops for people, no one paid me or cooked me a meal, darnn it :(

@ nlaruccia and garryl, if you guys want to give me some contact info, I will really appreciate it.

Back