Anyone Else Experience An Attempted Robbery On Christmas?

mraccountant

Registered
After being in Argentina for several years, I have experienced my first 2 attempted robberies in December 2014. The second attempt was on Christmas Day. I was curious as to whether anyone else has had a similar experience. Hope everyone had a great holiday regardless.

After being in Argentina for several years, I have experienced my first 2 attempted robberies in December 2014. The second attempt was on Christmas Day. I was curious as to whether anyone else has had a similar experience. Hope everyone had a great holiday regardless.

No one will be able to satisfy your curiosity about similar experiences until you actually tell us about yours.

Sorry that happened to you! For me the energy here during December and January can be sort of weird and unsettling - few people on the streets, the heat, etc. I always feel a little more on guard during these months although nothing has ever happened.

Criminal activity picks up around the holidays even in the US. The parasites and creeps just get into their own holiday spirit I guess.

Know a family friend who had a woman try and steal her handbag - chased her and got her bag back + 400 pesos which turned out to be the thiefs !! Police no where to be seen.

My (Argie) friend got robbed on the next street a few days before Xmas. He was coming over from the airport and two motochorros with a gun came up on him right after exiting a cab. The day before and the day after this I was on the scene as pedestrians got hit by vehicles (two seperate accidents) -- not purposeful crime, but seems like a lot of incidents in close proximity. Agreeing with Meri, with the partying, noise, heat, and broke barrio kids with nowhere to go, Buenos Aires is apocalyptic at this time of year. Remember last summer?

No one will be able to satisfy your curiosity about similar experiences until you actually tell us about yours.

Unfortunately, for legal reasons, it would be best if all the specific details were not outlined in the forum. I was curious as to whether anyone else had witnessed any robbery attempts of any nature in baires. I found it weird that after several years, I have experienced 2 robbery attempts, within weeks apart in the same month. Both attempts were made by armed chorros and in Palermo. Without going into all of the details, each incidient only lasted a couple minutes, and in each case we were able to come to a mutual understanding that nobody was going to get robbed. The second incident was particularly interesting because there were police watching from across the street. They were nice enough to approach and ask if I had been robbed after everything ended. Hopefully nobody else has to go through this experience. I wanted to post this as a sort of alert to anyone else from walking around in Palermo without having their guard up.

This seems like a bit of a tease. What possible legal reasons are there that would prevent you from giving us details?

I think all expats would want to know how you managed to convince "armed" robbers that "nobody was going to get robbed".

I saw in the local press that Palermo is the neighborhood in Capital where one is most likely to get robbed. La Boca might not be so bad after all.

Back