Anyone else having problems getting dollars in?

Jerry Nelson

Registered
As a freelance writer, I have clients globally. Each pays Fiverr (my source of work) and Fiverr pays me through Payoneer which does a direct deposit to the bank.

Once I find out the total sent, (Payoneer) has to subtract their fees, I have to file a form with the bank here. 72-96 hours later, I can go pick up my money.

Anyone else having problems getting dollars in?

Have you heard about the new rules brought in by the Central Bank a couple of weeks ago? I'm in the same boat, I work for clients in other countries.

Basically, you cannot get dollars, euros, etc any more as all the money you send to your Argentinian bank account is now automatically changed to pesos. I'm still trying to get my funds released after making a transfer to my bank (Galicia), but a week has passed with no news. It's all very frustrating.

Have you heard about the new rules brought in by the Central Bank a couple of weeks ago? I'm in the same boat, I work for clients in other countries.

Basically, you cannot get dollars, euros, etc any more as all the money you send to your Argentinian bank account is now automatically changed to pesos. I'm still trying to get my funds released after making a transfer to my bank (Galicia), but a week has passed with no news. It's all very frustrating.

Thanks for the response, and yeah. Ran head-on into the same new rules Thursday.

Any idea what happens if the dollars are changed into pesos by Payoneer and then pesos are deposited?

I’m not sure exactly what is going on but just don’t be surprised when it gets worse. Yes, they will take your dollars, force you to change them into pesos, devalue them and then limit how much you can take out. See 2001. Plus, Cristina is coming back. It’s all coming back. Prepare yourself.

Yeah. My wife is Argentine (born and raised in BA) and she's told me about the problems of 2001 and I believe she said something about 2010 or so.

Thanks for the response, and yeah. Ran head-on into the same new rules Thursday.

Any idea what happens if the dollars are changed into pesos by Payoneer and then pesos are deposited?
I don't use Payoneer much these days, but as far as I remember they don't allow you to send pesos directly to your Argentinian bank account any more. You have to send the dollars, then the dollars will arrive here and you have to go to the bank with your form, factura, etc, to 'liquidar' them and they get deposited in pesos.

One workaround I have used a few times:

- Open a TransferWise account with a balance in pound sterling
- Change your dollars in Payoneer to pound sterling
- Use your Payoneer pound sterling card to send the pounds to your TransferWise account
- Transfer the pounds to your Argentinian bank account, and they will arrive in pesos, no paperwork needed

Now, while TransferWise is a legal service, I'm still not sure about whether this meets the requirements for 'exporters' like us to 'liquidar' our foreign money in our local accounts. As far as I'm aware, the only definite legal way to do it that complies with all the rules is via bank transfer (Swift). So I'm doing that for now.

Another option is to open a PayPal account in Argentina. You can then use Nubi to transfer your funds from PayPal to your local bank account. Until a few weeks ago you could transfer the dollars and they arrived in dollars, but now they are converted into pesos. But no paperwork is needed, and the fees are cheaper than a bank transfer.

Again, I think this is a legal way to 'liquidar divisas', but I still can't get a straight answer from anyone. I know it works and it's a legal way to get money into the country, but whether as an exporter it meets the new obligations, I don't know.

Back