Anyone Familiar With Asunción Or Paraguay In General?

sleslie23

Registered
I'll be in Asunción for 4 weeks in July taking Guarani courses during most of the week, then traveling to other parts of the country during the weekends.

How is Asunción? Are there cafes, bars, etc. to hang out in during the evening?

Also, any recommendations for places to visit elsewhere in Paraguay?

I'll be in Asunción for 4 weeks in July taking Guarani courses during most of the week, then traveling to other parts of the country during the weekends.

Haven't been for long time, but there are some nice subtropical forest national parks within a couple hours. The Jesuit missions at Jesús and Trinidad, across the river from Posadas, are worth seeing. The town of Villa Hayes takes its name from US President Rutherford B. Hayes, a hero to Paraguayans for something to do with the Chaco that I can't remember. The German Mennonite settlements in the Chaco, particularly Filadelfia, are interesting.

I spent close to a month in Asuncion last year, most of July in fact. It's quite nice, very relaxing... Very quiet, especially after BA. There were very few tourists and honestly not much to do. The centre is quite small, nice to walk around, although the first thing you will notice is that Paraguay is very much a military state, lots of young men in uniform, lots of guns. Everywhere.

I'm not much of a bar person and it took me awhile to find a decent cup of coffee. Still, there were a couple of okay cafes.

The country-side is beautiful and quite interesting, although I was mainly in the Chaco (Conception, Filadelfia).

I spent a few weeks in Paraguay with some of my wife's relatives. Part of the time was in Asunsion and part out in the countryside of Arroyos y Esteros. Her uncle was our tour guide and rather possessive self-appointed bodyguard for most of our stay. At about 4 foot something with a 45 strapped on his belt, he was good to go for the job. He had so many stories of robberies and such that we were a little on edge in the capital. One such story that kind of surprised me was his niece having her long hair stolen by a guy with a knife on a collectivo. But in retrospect I think he was maybe a bit overprotective, and probably the city is not so dangerous as he was painting it. However, to be sure, if you are somewhat obviously extranjero in BA, you will be doubly so in Asuncion. Some people are very poor there, so something that might not seem flashy to you might be very attractive to steal, and as usual you should be watchful.

It is not the same kind of tourist hotspot as BA, (but don't tell the locals that or you will be in trouble. If they ever ask you which you like better Asuncion or BA, tell them Asuncion is the most amazing city you've ever seen. Don't say I didn't warn you). Knowing Guarani would be nice to gain the trust of the locals, but I only met a few people there who did not speak Spanish- mostly they were older. The public schools teach Spanish and Guarani and it seems there are a lot of cognates between the two languages. By far the time I enjoyed the most there was out in the countryside of Arroyos y Esteros. It was so beautiful and relaxing, and the people there living a calm simple life. My wife had relatives there as well who took us in, so that meant all the difference as well. People were very friendly though, and strangers in the area pretty much welcomed us like family as well. I think you couldn't go wrong getting away from Asuncion somewhere to enjoy the countryside.

Oh, and one last word of advice - watch out if they ask you to play volleyball. At least where I was, they played it soccer style - no hands!! Thankfully I was only watching the game, in amazement.

Respect to President Hayes: his name was involved in the post- Triple Alliance War, (1864-1870).
The war started when the Paraguayan president (and strong man) attacked Brazil and Argentina, on his way to attack Uruguay (he did not reach his objective: Montevideo).
After being trounced and losing more than 40% of the total population, the victorius powers did not agree what to do with the spoils, the brazilians wishing to dismember and occupy the country.
Argentina (Mr Sarmiento) did not agree (not wanting the brazilians in his northern borders too)so the issue was delegated to Mr Hayes. He handed over the brazilians about 200,000 km2 of land, and to the argies the provinces of Misiones and Formosa. But he saved Paraguay as a nation.

Hi guy,

Traveling from Posadas, Argentina into the Mission area, cross the border (bridge) into Paraguay. Either taking bus or boat up to Asuncion. The Jesuit mission is ok, not much left to see, one needs to have a good imagination to figuring out of what it would look like years ago. The temperature should be great at 70+. I was there in Feb, it was extremely hot, couldn't go out between 9am to 5:30pm. Boring nightlife, the city is ok and not active as here in BA. nik

Back