Anyone Going To The World Cup?

mmoon

Registered
Just curious, because it seemed like so many people I know in Argentina (and other countries too) were planning to go the World Cup in Brazil this year...but I realized today that I don't know one person who is actually going! Personally, given all the problems, I'm glad to be sitting this one out. But I was wondering if any expats on this site are going, and what have been their experiences so far with getting tickets, finding accommodations, etc. Also, did others want to go and decide not to for whatever reason? Personally, we are skipping it because of the incredible expense and because it just seems like it will be a logistical nightmare. I hope that's not the case...and that Argentina wins...

Just curious, because it seemed like so many people I know in Argentina (and other countries too) were planning to go the World Cup in Brazil this year...but I realized today that I don't know one person who is actually going! Personally, given all the problems, I'm glad to be sitting this one out. But I was wondering if any expats on this site are going, and what have been their experiences so far with getting tickets, finding accommodations, etc. Also, did others want to go and decide not to for whatever reason? Personally, we are skipping it because of the incredible expense and because it just seems like it will be a logistical nightmare. I hope that's not the case...and that Argentina wins...

Not if I can avoid it and, since I'm presently in Norway, I expect to be successful.

I was thinking about it but when I saw the prices, I changed my mind. Even though I'll follow it for sure, I'm not such a huge fan to pay an extreme premium just to see a game live. So I just went to vacations to Brazil in January and most likely will go back there again, but not during crowded and overpriced world cup time.

No way. I will watch in HD from the couch.

Was going to but then we failed to qualify again.
I9ybMNd.gif

Will evaluate company request from anyone attending the venue, whether live in Brazil or live on the couch.
No prejudice on any team, will come for the beer and the food.

I would love to explore more of Brazil (I've only been to Florianópolis), and at some point in my life I'd love to go to a World Cup game, but the World Cup in Brazil sounds like a nightmare. I have a friend in Recife right now; it's a shitshow there and next to none of it makes the news. He's been robbed by huge gangs of dudes with guns that come down from the slums and sweep entire blocks every so often. He said it's even worse now that the World Cup is nearing and the city is scrambling to prepare itself. The police went on strike and apparently there were 16 murders in the first six hours. Riots, too. And all of it's covered up, he says, because the World Cup is coming and Brazil is trying to look good to the world.

Here's an interesting article I just found from Sports Illustrated via Google about Recife and the World Cup: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20140525/world-cup-recife-brazil-usa-germany/

Seems like a really cool and interesting place, but it's a real shame about the crime. I really hope for everyones sake (Brazilians, tourists, etc.) that no crazy shit goes down during the World Cup.

Back