Anyone Need A Painter?

Splitty

Registered
If you are in need of a painter who actually turns up and doesn't slop paint everywhere I have someone.

Facundo 011 2560-2578
He is the 16 year old son of my cleaning lady and has been doing painting around my house and for some friends also.
I pay him 200 pesos for 5 hours of work as he is a student and can't work full time.
So I am trying to help him find other work.

Fried, don't you think that 200 pesos for a kid that paints for 5 hours and doesn't "slop paint all over the place " is a bit much? That comes out to 40 pesos per hour. If he worked 8 hours at that rate his monthly pay would be 6400 pesos per month! I just hope that you have explained to him not to expect that kind of pay from others. I am glad to see that you are trying to help the kid out, but are you really helping him?

That kind of painting you can do on your own ! I made a recommendation on a previous thread. Price we paid didn´t even out that much more than what is being proposed here. 600 for two days work for one of the smaller jobs. This was a guy who was putting up microfibre mesh to cover up holes which is a tricky job and not many can do well, advising on redesign of certain rooms (including cosmetic bathroom changes) with years of experience and fluent English (and obviously Spanish).

If the kid wants to get on, he needs to work cheaply and get some solid experience. Would not harm at all to see if you could get him working for a more experienced painter.

I wish him the best of luck, but I reckon a pricing re-think is required. Forget about hourly rates. Find out what someone else would charge per job and shave 30% off.

Fried, don't you think that 200 pesos for a kid that paints for 5 hours and doesn't "slop paint all over the place " is a bit much? That comes out to 40 pesos per hour. If he worked 8 hours at that rate his monthly pay would be 6400 pesos per month! I just hope that you have explained to him not to expect that kind of pay from others. I am glad to see that you are trying to help the kid out, but are you really helping him?
Well I said that's what I paid him which I think is fair considering he does a good job, is honest and reliable.
I will be sure to warn him about working for miserable expats who expect to pay a pittance.
As with all my employees (25 of them) I pay them according to what they are worth.

Well I said that's what I paid him which I think is fair considering he does a good job, is honest and reliable.
I will be sure to warn him about working for miserable expats who expect to pay a pittance.
As with all my employees (25 of them) I pay them according to what they are worth.

I had to sign in for the first time in a while to post on this. What is wrong with giving a 16 year old kid 200 pesos? 22 dollars, today. He's clearly doing a good job. What's wrong with giving someone a little more than the going rate for a job well done...especially the son of a cleaning lady. We all know how little 200 pesos is. It doesn't matter how long you've been here...200 pesos for 5 hours of good labor is nothing any expat should have to sweat about. Take it how ever you want, James.

I wish I had seen this a month ago. I paid over 3000 pesos to have a tiny apartment painted. I thought it was somebody trying to rip off the foreinger, so I had my Argentine assistant call around, and that is the standard price. That included 850 pesos worth of paint. 200 pesos, assuming he does a good job is an excellent price for a painter.

Argentina needs some type of Angies List (angieslist.com) for rating local business and professionals. I highly value a recommendation over just finding a person through some random web site. 200 pesos is also a steal if the kid is any good! I have an excellent person for installing air conditioner/heater units if anyone is ever in need. That is one job you want to get correct or you end up with some major water issues.

Back