Anything SPICY?!

LAtoBA

Registered
Hi all:

Anyone know where I can find jalapenos? Hot sauce? Or even salsa? I'm used to a little more spice with my food and I'm desperately craving it. Would Carrefour or Coto have it?

See this thread from 8 months ago. Basically, look in a Bolivian store or market, suggestions and areas discussed therein.

http://baexpats.org/food-drink/6741-ingredients-mexican-food.html

You may find that the chile powder in the Carrefour bins is a bit weak, and the bottles of salsa picante sold in Argentina are woefully weak (mainly vineager). In fact, often you see the Bolivian women selling stuff outside the supermarkets on the sidewalks.

They have little red peppers 1/4 to 1/3 inch long that can do the trick, tho not as good as habaneros.

Blog article on Bolivian area in BA, "Bolitown".

http://www.whatsupbuenosaires.com/news/Bolitown

Whenever I am craving spicy food, I head to Tandoor... an Indian restaurant in Barrio Norte. You can ask the chef to make everything spicier than normally offered and when requested they bring you a hot sauce that is so hot that it almost hurts... I'm the type of person that loves the kind of spicy food that makes you cry so its my Buenos Aires spicy food sanctuary.

Alilou said:
Whenever I am craving spicy food, I head to Tandoor... an Indian restaurant in Barrio Norte. You can ask the chef to make everything spicier than normally offered and when requested they bring you a hot sauce that is so hot that it almost hurts... I'm the type of person that loves the kind of spicy food that makes you cry so its my Buenos Aires spicy food sanctuary.

Me too! I had almost given up on Indian food here having been served Tandoor chicken that tasted like roast beef and gravy in that awful place on Scalbrini Ortiz but Tandoor restored my faith!

Not a huge fan of indian food but will try the other suggestions! I figured Jumbo would probably have something like that.

Also where exactly is Barrio Chino....I've been meaning to go.

I think that at most verdulerias you'll if you ask for "algo picante" they'll sell you some small, fairly spicy peppers. I've made some decent salsa from them.

LAtoBA said:
Hi all:

Anyone know where I can find jalapenos? Hot sauce? Or even salsa? I'm used to a little more spice with my food and I'm desperately craving it. Would Carrefour or Coto have it?

Try shopping at some of the supermercados in China Town (the Chinese run ones). They have great spices and salsas that are super hot!!

Back