Apartment Entry - No Notice

TruchoTango

Registered
I'm in the process of renting an apartment in BA. I got a rental contract from a duena. The contract has a provision whereby the duena or her representantes can enter at any time, without any notice.

I asked her specifically about this provision, cuz it's in castellano. I asked, "Doesn't this mean that you or your representante can enter the apartment at any time, with no notice?" She confirmed that yes, this is what the provision meant.

First, isn't that illegal in BA? I had it understood that an owner/landlord must provide 48 hours notice to enter a rented apartment.

Second, for those of you with rental experience in BA, would you brush this aside and rent or is this a warning sign?

It's a decent apartment, in a good location at a reasonable price.

Thanks.

Whether it's legal or not, who cares, this is BA! You want the apartment? Take it, and make sure that AFTER you take possession, send her an email stating that your normal practice is to walk around naked in your apartment, so unless she wants to be shocked, suggest she alert you 24 hrs. before she decides to walk in unexpectedly!

as a landlord, they need access. with all do respect, they knock on the door, wait, knock again, wait and then unlock the door. yell into the apartment, maintence, is anyone home. from my stand point, i may need to do regular maintience, dont mind seeing if the unit is being maintained, not to mention emergency’s. if you are being respectfull, who cares. its free service. i had an attorney living in one of my units. he says the garbage disposal unit is not working. its hard enough to schedule service people so i stopped by knowing he was at work and i had the time. what i found was cherry seeds and plastic in the disposal. i changed the air filter and looked in the bedroom to see the wood framed bed on the ground. damn. removed the matrerass and found a restraint harness underneath with velcro cuffs. put the bed back together and told him to quit using my bed and his personal swing. the frame cant take it.

People are really crazy and I think that Landlords can write whatever they want on the rental lease. Once I signed a rental lease in NY, which stated that I could only have visitors for two weeks during the entire year in my apartment. Other times, I had several abusive landlords which entered my home with their keys without notice and just for routine check-ups. I think that entering a rented apartment without notice should apply only at the time of an emergency.

jbeas176: Argentina's laws maybe different, but in California landlords only have the right to enter an apartment without a 24 HOUR notice in case of an emergency. In my opinion, any landlord that enters without prior permission, and in writing, is opening himself to all sorts of unnecessary problems and headaches. For example, let's assume that you were my landlord and the lease gave you the right to enter whenever you wanted. OK. Later, I claim that $1,000 dollars went missing from my apartment, and I go to the police to report the theft. Police will come and inspect and won't find any evidence of a break in. They will ask who else has a copy of the key; and I will innocently say the landlord. He/she must be the culprit. Do you want to have that accusation against you? It can get worse too!

Silvie: most leases in California have a clause that do not allow visitors for more than a few weeks a year, and if you think about it, it's a good rule. Why would I, as a landlord, lease an apartment to one or two persons, only to find out later that they have more than that number in the unit? If that's the case, pay more. Also, wear and tear increases, neighbors complain, plumbing expenses go up, etc. In general, the fewer the people in an unit, the better for the landlord. Many cities also have rules about overcrowding. Usually, not more than two people per bedroom are allowed in an apartment. And bedrooms are defined as rooms with a closet, so the living room does not count as a bedroom.

In this forum, often people love to complain about landlords. There may be many rascal landlords for sure, but tenants can be worse than rascals. No need to give you details, but tenants in general have less to loose financially than a landlord, so therefore, they can make more damage, and actually do!

rickulivi you are right, i would never want to be in or put myself in that position. these were executive rentals. good locations and higher prices. before the days of airbnb, the tenants were vetted, almost always profession people. 1000.00 was not going to change anybodies life. they included maid service every two weeks. did that on purpose to keep the units clean and the maids reported to me if anything was amiss. gotta say the team was beyond reproach and so were the tenants. stupidity and lack of responsibility were more my problem than games for profit. thx though

example of stupid.... one of the owners in my building in BA rented my place for her visiting daughter. there was a glass top on the horno you lifted up to use the burners. she turned the burners on to cook her dinner on the glass cover. it exploded into many pieces. just told her to clean up the mess no charge.

last comment. i love buenos aires and the people. the rents do not justify the investment or possible abuse in the open market.

ok my mind is work overtime.landlord stories. its a bad economy and rented the unit i now live in to a guy that owned a resturant. its a one bedroom unit. maid comes back and tells me someone is sleeping on the couch and puts his blanket under the couch. she said you have blood stains on the 1200.00 matress. i call said tenant. told him the lease says two adults and one baby, no animals. and by the way, if you having sex with your girlfriend while she is menstrating, put a towel down. i will look at the bed and decide if you will get your deposit back. can you leave at the end of the month. the matress had a cover and the spotting was minimal. said i would turn the matress and not charge him if he was gone by months end. the life of a landlord. so polostar, your really want a piece of this.

In the States, my very Mormon landlord spoke about finding a vibrator, of all things, in the garbage disposal.

I'm certain landlords learn a whole lot more about their tenants than they ever wanted to know.

You mentioned your furnished units, or at least that furnished unit, didn't allow pets. I've been considering a pensionado visa and moving if not to BA to Rosario, but I couldn't leave my cat behind. For one person and one neutered cat, are there landlords that understand us crazy gringos and our attachment to animals? ;) I'm assuming understanding might come at the expense of a significantly higher deposit.

Back