Apartment size - square meters

Davidglen77

Registered
So today I go with a friend to see a new apartment in a building that is still under construction but almost finished. The blueprints they gave us said the bedroom measures 3 meters x 3 meters. So we take out the tape measure and measure the bedroom because it looked somewhat smaller than 3 x 3. The bedroom measured 2.5 meters by 3 meters. The agent showing us the apartment said, "oh you have to measure from inside the closet to get the full 3 meters". If they tell you the apartment is 50 sq meters total, it's probably only about 42 sq meters of living space because they are talking meters from wall to wall, the spaces inside of closets, under counters, dividing walls and cabinets are hanging are all included in the meters they supposedly are selling you. How shady!

This was true for my PH in Nunez. The walls were 30cm thick and there were two levels. This significantly reduced (more than 10%) the measurable interior space compared to the total meters which were stated on the deed.

I mean in Buenos Aires most apartments are small to begin with, so they should list apartments according to living space and not technical specs. If you have a 40 sq meter apartment and there is really 32 sq meters of living space you really have to think out your limited furniture options since in a small apartment, a few measly meters make a big difference. I have a property that says 74 meters on the deed and I went and measured it and it's truly 74 meters!

Ok let's separate 2 things, it's one thing to list the total square meters of an apartment and another to list measurements of a room. If you are working with plans and you see a room advertised as 3 x 3 meters than you are probably going to plan furniture for a 3 x 3 meter room. Not a 2.5 x 3 meter room because you are not going to put your bed or couch in the closet, or am I wrong??

Davidglen77 said:
So today I go with a friend to see a new apartment in a building that is still under construction but almost finished. The blueprints they gave us said the bedroom measures 3 meters x 3 meters. So we take out the tape measure and measure the bedroom because it looked somewhat smaller than 3 x 3. The bedroom measured 2.5 meters by 3 meters. The agent showing us the apartment said, "oh you have to measure from inside the closet to get the full 3 meters". If they tell you the apartment is 50 sq meters total, it's probably only about 42 sq meters of living space because they are talking meters from wall to wall, the spaces inside of closets, under counters, dividing walls and cabinets are hanging are all included in the meters they supposedly are selling you. How shady!

So you want the closet space and the space under the counter in the kitchen for the washing machine to be free? What about a walk in closet, do you want that meterage excluded from the price as well?

Blueprints are the construction plan for the building and things are always going to change...

I agree with David. When I listed both of of my apartments I personally measured the interior dimensions of the rooms without including the floor space occupied by the closets. As for the kitchen, I measured wall to wall, above the counters. While the total meters from the deed was included in the listing for the PH, the actual interior space was about 10% less. Several people who viewed the apartment said they didn't think the apartment was as big as stated in the listing. Everyone accepted my explanation of the measurements, including the buyers.

I didn't have a walk in closet, but if I did I simply would have measured it separately.

jez said:
So you want the closet space and the space under the counter in the kitchen for the washing machine to be free? What about a walk in closet, do you want that meterage excluded from the price as well?

Blueprints are the construction plan for the building and things are always going to change...

Nobody is saying any square meters should be for free. What I am saying is things should be more clearly stated and practical for a perspective property buyer. If I have a bed that measures 2 meters wide I am going to think okay that should fit just fine in the 3 x 3 meter room, however if there is actually 2.5 meters of usable space I would maybe consider using other furniture. Also, not clearly stating these things are exactly the reason why there is so much distrust here. Here, in business, people generally lie about everything from the smallest to biggest issue. I of course don't really think that will change, lying and cheating here in business is accepted and expected by everyone and everyone who knowingly accepts is just as crappy as the person doing it.

i live in NYC when i don't live in BA. in NYC realtors measure from the outside walls and often even include part of the common space (hallway between apartments). like it or not, that's how it's done. this may be a less than honest practice but it wasn't invented in BA.

mariposa said:
i live in NYC when i don't live in BA. in NYC realtors measure from the outside walls and often even include part of the common space (hallway between apartments). like it or not, that's how it's done. this may be a less than honest practice but it wasn't invented in BA.

I was born in New York City and lived there for 30+ years of my life. No reputable realtor includes hall space in dimensions of apartments. Sorry but I don't know who you worked with but it wasn't a very professional office. Measurments on floor plans (in my experience) are true to what they say on paper. Every perspective buyer / renter comes with a tape measure when they look at an apartment or house and tough, outspoken New Yorkers would make a total scandal out of this. Builders on the other hand may do this when they are selling apartments from specs. However when people go to see the finished product, they get a floor plan with the dimensions of the acutal living space. Closets, and bathrooms were not calculated in the living area. One of my former apartments, I bought from a floor plan (condo conversion) and that is how it was done.

Back