Apartment Strategies For A Gringo

mimyr

Registered
I'm looking to rent an apartment. Not just a vacation rental, but a real contract. My colleague is able to provide the guarantee, so that main hurdle is out of the way, but now my issues are these:

-I speak very little Spanish. Enough to ask basic questions, get necessary information, etc., but not enough to fluently converse with agents without them flagging me as "clueless sucker"
-I'm living on an expired visa, not sure if/how much of an impact this will have.
-I'm living on a fairly modest salary, $9k/month, and am looking for something less than $4k/month. I do have a fair amount of money saved up in the US, in case I needed to make a large downpayment.
-I work in Munro, but I really, REALLY don't want to move into provincia. If I were to live somewhere close to one of the Belgrano Norte stations, I could get to work in under half an hour. These stations are in Retiro, Palermo Chico, and Belgrano by the stadium.

Anyone have ideas for how I should proceed? So far, I've just been looking at listings that show up on clarin, zonaprop, mercadolibre, etc, but considering that I have to have my coworkers help me every step of the way, it's slow going. Most of the places we call tend to be already reserved.

I'm living in San Telmo in a renovated old casa colonial, with studios for short term rents. I'm here nearly a year by now and paying 360 US Dollars a month with expensas of 626 pesos a month. The studio is with complete equipped.
Try to get in one of these places in San Telmo, if you stay longer than a couple of months you may negotiate such a good deal like I've.

You may enlist the help of one of your local friends to work out the details of the contract on your behalf and offer them a gift in exchange.

Back