Apartment Zero Cult Anglo Argentine film

perry

Registered
( please watch all the film )

This classic Anglo Argentine film was one of the best films that expresses Buenos Aires as it was . In 1989 when this was filmed Buenos Aires was imho a more beautiful bohemian city that had its own unique character . The city back then was really buzzing and the nightlife was amongst the best in the world . I remember visiting Buenos Aires for the first time in 1983 and it had a essence back then that was intoxicating . Calle florida and Avenida Santa Fe were elegant and full of people day and night . The restaurants and milongas were full to the rafters and Recoleta was then the best neighbourhood of the city .

Last edited:
I guess Colin Firth was once young...! gay?

Last edited:
Looking at this film again I discovered that the building of the strange tenants is just three blocks from my house on Cabello and Republica Arabe Siria a beautiful english style building . I will now look at this film in a new light .

Last edited:
......I remember visiting Buenos Aires for the first time in 1983 and it had a essence back then that was intoxicating . Calle florida and Avenida Santa Fe were elegant and full of people day and night . The restaurants and milongas were full to the rafters and Recoleta was then the best neighbourhood of the city by far .
After the Falklands war and before the installation of a democratically elected civilian government. Interesting times.

This glorious English building on the corner of Cabello and Republica Arabe Siria is the building where Apartment Zero was filmed

Attachments

• apartment zero building.jpg
    apartment zero building.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 1
Just the other night an old english friend of mine was lamenting the changes in Buenos Aires and especially all the beautiful old cinemas that were the backbone of porteño life . Nowadays I doubt if there is one old cinema left in the city except Gaumont in Plaza Congreso . Maybe in Zona Norte there are a few left?

This classic Anglo Argentine film was one of the best films that expresses Buenos Aires as it was . In 1989 when this was filmed Buenos Aires was imho a more beautiful bohemian city that had its own unique character . The city back then was really buzzing and the nightlife was amongst the best in the world . I remember visiting Buenos Aires for the first time in 1983 and it had a essence back then that was intoxicating . Calle florida and Avenida Santa Fe were elegant and full of people day and night . The restaurants and milongas were full to the rafters and Recoleta was then the best neighbourhood of the city by far .

Rotten tomatoes Overview

Set in post-Junta Argentina, Apartment Zero uses the story of a gay romance to ponder whether or not the overthrow of the military government had really changed anything. Preferring to be an "outsider", Argentinian Colin Firth pretends to be British. Firth escapes from reality by holing up in the movie theatre that he owns. His life is turned around by his new roommate Hart Bochner, who seems to be the living embodiment of Firth's film icons James Dean and Montgomery Clift. Firth's apolitical attitudes--and his sexual attraction to his new roommate--are tested to the breaking point when it becomes apparent that Bochner is in the employ of the government, arranging the "disappearances" of political dissidents. Given the number of films that have been expanded to "director's cut" length on videocassette, Apartment Zero is a rarity: it was shortened by director Martin Donovan for the video version.

Rotten Tomatoes Movie Info;

This classic Anglo Argentine film was one of the best films that expresses Buenos Aires as it was . In 1989 when this was filmed Buenos Aires was imho a more beautiful bohemian city that had its own unique character . The city back then was really buzzing and the nightlife was amongst the best in the world . I remember visiting Buenos Aires for the first time in 1983 and it had a essence back then that was intoxicating . Calle florida and Avenida Santa Fe were elegant and full of people day and night . The restaurants and milongas were full to the rafters and Recoleta was then the best neighbourhood of the city by far .

LA Times Review

KEVIN THOMAS TIMES STAFF WRITER

The one thing you can say for "Apartment Zero" (at the Royal) is that they've got that numeral in the title right: This overwrought and underdeveloped psychological thriller with heavy-handed political implications adds up to exactly nothing.

Just the other night an old english friend of mine was lamenting the changes in Buenos Aires and especially all the beautiful old cinemas that were the backbone of porteño life . Nowadays I doubt if there is one old cinema left in the city except Gaumont in Plaza Congreso . Maybe in Zona Norte there are a few left?

There used to be a lot of cinemas like the one in this film that showed clsssic films but changing preferences for Hollywood junk and the domination of cine complexes killed them off.

Rotten tomatoes Overview

Set in post-Junta Argentina, Apartment Zero uses the story of a gay romance to ponder whether or not the overthrow of the military government had really changed anything. Preferring to be an "outsider", Argentinian Colin Firth pretends to be British. Firth escapes from reality by holing up in the movie theatre that he owns. His life is turned around by his new roommate Hart Bochner, who seems to be the living embodiment of Firth's film icons James Dean and Montgomery Clift. Firth's apolitical attitudes--and his sexual attraction to his new roommate--are tested to the breaking point when it becomes apparent that Bochner is in the employ of the government, arranging the "disappearances" of political dissidents. Given the number of films that have been expanded to "director's cut" length on videocassette, Apartment Zero is a rarity: it was shortened by director Martin Donovan for the video version.

LA Times Review

KEVIN THOMAS TIMES STAFF WRITER

The one thing you can say for "Apartment Zero" (at the Royal) is that they've got that numeral in the title right: This overwrought and underdeveloped psychological thriller with heavy-handed political implications adds up to exactly nothing.

It's not a gay romance. It's a psychlogical drama with homoerotic undertones on the part of the Colin Firth character but to call it a romance is absurd.

Back