Apartments and Jobs

miaartal

Registered
Hello expats!
I live in the San Francisco Bay area of California and after spending time in BA a couple years ago I decided that I would love to try moving there.
I currently work as an acupuncturist, herbalist and therapeutic massage therapist but realize that I will have to expand my search to any available work. My Spanish, as of now, is conversational at best but I will enroll in school once down there.
My questions are:
1. what type of work should I look for to start out with and where is a good place to start? I'm looking into teaching English but other ideas would be welcome.
2. How much should I expect to pay for a studio in San Telmo or the least expensive but still relatively central neighborhood? And, where should I look?
I've checked on Craigslist for BA but as this seems to cater toward tourists there, I'm finding rents that match the US and can't imagine that the average Argentine is paying that. Where do they find their apartments?
Any other relocation tips are welcome!
thank you!
Mia

rrptownley said:
Linking is much more polite than asking that people use the search function on the home page. ;)

Thanks. I've done both, but I knew I would be able to find these threads (using the search engine) a lot faster than Mia could (it took less than two minutes).:)

For work, you are really better off doing what you do rather than teaching English. You'll probably make more money per hour.

As for short term furnished apartments, locals don't usually rent those. They are for non residents, ie tourists, ie short term visitors.

And yes, they are getting expensive.

I'm a swede that has been expatriotising quite a few countries by now. The only thing i want to say is don't worry too much, if you are from the western world (maybe have a buffer of money for a couple of months) and want to relocate to argentina then go ahead, there are about 40million people here, why cant u be one of them. I've got quite a bunch of native english speaking friends that have ended up as teachers in buenos aires. Even though it might not be the ideal job for you because of money or other reasons, i think it's a great way to prove that you penetrated the labormarket. If you are picky about specefic things for some reason, maybe about beaurocracy, it might make you upset, but you know what, just think whatever and let it take it's time. There are obviously other people already living during these conditions, why coudln't you. And oviously you already know yourself that routines in everyday life are not going to be the same. Just go ahead, you'll be fine. About finding accomodation, there are tonnes of options, i think that if u do not know anybody, move into a piso compartido with other people, share a flat to begin with and then you will form your own opinion, sharing would normaly be anything from 200usd up to 500usd for a room. I tell you without even a doubt that if you are a social person who wants to experience buenos aires: live in Palermo. I say: come here, investigate options and relax, there is not much you can do for abroad. And remember that these expat forums are full of people that are full of themselves. It seems that they think that they are expats considering themselves as gods becuase they moved abroad for a couple of months (often US people, not use to travelling very much since it's far from many countries, or whatever reason it might be) so just go ahead and throw yourself out there, don't worry too much, i think thats the best way. Baires is a fantastic city with the american feeling but still containing the soul and life that the european influence brings to the street-life and the air to the city.
Besitos,
J

I echo Mini in saying that you would be MUCH better off and happier practicing professionally what you have been trained to do. You'd easily earn in a day or two of giving a few professional massages/accupuncture/herbal consultations what you could earn in five days running all over town teaching students English. I'm sure you could charge $100/hr or more per hour giving massages/accupuncture/herbal therapy, and you're guaranteed not to find that kind of wage teaching. You could start marketing here (on the board) and then make contacts or flyer when you're here. If you do decide to give massages here, it might be a great idea to bring a table with you (if they do sell them here, they'll be poorer quality than you're used to and much more expensive).

I'd also recommend that you look into shared housing. That's a fantastic (and economical!) way to meet people, make friends, and learn Spanish!

All the best! You'll have a great time.

Promoting massage and especially house calls is a very risky business in Buenos Aires . I personally know of three people who were in uncomfortable situations due to sleazy clients and the like.

If you do massage never do housecalls and make sure that you have security cameras as well .

perry said:
Promoting massage and especially house calls is a very risky business in Buenos Aires . I personally know of three people who were in uncomfortable situations due to sleazy clients and the like.

If you do massage never do housecalls and make sure that you have security cameras as well .

You're probably right about this. I'd recommend focusing on acupuncture and herbalism. There is a great herbal pharmacy on S.Ortiz (between Costa Rica & Nicaragua).

I do remember reading quite a few people looking for English speaking acupuncturists or at least those where they are familiar with the credentials.

Even I have been telling myself I need to see an acupuncturist. Never been before so... maybe if I have someone contacting me I might be "pushed" to give it a try. hint, hint! ;)

MizzMarr said:
I echo Mini in saying that you would be MUCH better off and happier practicing professionally what you have been trained to do. You'd easily earn in a day or two of giving a few professional massages/accupuncture/herbal consultations what you could earn in five days running all over town teaching students English. I'm sure you could charge $100/hr or more per hour giving massages/accupuncture/herbal therapy, and you're guaranteed not to find that kind of wage teaching. You could start marketing here (on the board) and then make contacts or flyer when you're here. If you do decide to give massages here, it might be a great idea to bring a table with you (if they do sell them here, they'll be poorer quality than you're used to and much more expensive).

I'd also recommend that you look into shared housing. That's a fantastic (and economical!) way to meet people, make friends, and learn Spanish!

All the best! You'll have a great time.

Assuming you mean 100 pesos an hour, or did you mean $100 US?

Back