Applying For Argentine Citizenship (Argentine Spouse)

ciudadania101

Registered
Hey everyone,

I am starting this thread to collect information on how my process of applying for citizenship here goes. My wife is from Argentina and I have a permanent DNI number, so this thread will be of no help to permatourists or others with different statuses.

I went to Talcahuano 550, oficina 2083, last week, to start the process. They gave me 2 forms to complete and a paper that listed the documents I needed to bring to start the process and told me to come back with the listed documents:

1. DNI o Cedula (with the photocopy): I don't have the physical DNI card yet, still waiting for it, but I had the number with me and I took the paper that says that I'm waiting for the DNI. So they asked me to give them my Passport with its photocopy instead.

2. Certificado de Domicilio: Be careful with this since it only has a validity of 5 days from the date of issue.

3. Partida de Nacimiento (Birth certificate with its translation, if necessary, and photocopes): This has to be already legalized by the Argentine embassy in the country of your birth.

4: Acreditacion de medios de vida: A salary certificate or the receipts that you get every month when you get your salary. You also have to bring photocopies for these. I took my wife's last month's salary slip since she's the one currently supporting us.

Okay, I went back to the oficina 2083 yesterday with all the documents, the lady took them, looked them over to make sure I had all the necessary documents as per the list she had provided me with a week ago and then she asked me to give her the 2 forms required for citizenship: 1) Formulario para el tramite de ciudadania (it had to be signed and dated) 2): A petition with your information that's addressed to the judge (you have to sign this form in front of the secretary of the judge: DO NOT SIGN IT BEFORE YOU GET TO THE SECRETARY).

After she decided that all was well she registered me on her computer system. Then she printed out a paper that said the number of the juzgado and the number of the secretaria that I was assigned.

To get to the juzgado, you have to exit the building where you're currently at and then cross the plaza toward Teatro Colon and enter the building to the left of Teatro Colon. The address is: Libertad 731. Once you enter this building, to the left, before you get to the elevators, is a list of judges and their respective secretaries and their floor and office numbers. Bring a blank piece of paper with you so you're able to write the name of the judge and the name of the secretary for future reference since you won't get a single piece of paper from them THAT YOU GET TO KEEP stating the names of the judge and the secretary.

Anyway, I found out where the judge and secretary assigned to me were and so I got on the elevator and went to the required floor.

When I got there, there was a notice on the door that said that only 5 people were allowed in the office at one time so I had to wait outside for like 5 minutes since there were about 7 people in there already. Apparently Tuesdays and Fridays are really busy days so avoid those if you can.

Anyway, when I went in, I said I was there for citizenship (in my very broken Spanish) and this lady came over and started looking at the petition that was addressed to the judge with all my information. She asked me if I spoke Spanish, I said "si, un poco" and then she started talking to me as fast as she could. Luckily I understood most of what she was saying. She was just asking me questions to make sure that whatever I had put on the form was correct. Then she looked at the rest of the documents. She asked me if I worked, I said "no but my wife does and she's financially supporting me." She said okay and continued looking over the documents.

Once she was done, she gave me back my wife's pay slip and told me that she was required to come with me with the last 3 months of payslips and their photocopies, with the marriage certificate and its photocopy with the legalization if you were married outside of Argentina (I said I had it with me already, she said, "nuh uh, your wife needs to come and present it) and with her DNI and its photocopy. She said you guys can come any day between 7:30 AM and 1:30 PM (but try to avoid Tuesdays and Fridays) and once my wife presents everything they asked for and they're sure that my wife is aware that I'm applying for citizenship then they'll proceed with the process.

She she went on her spiel, again as fast as she could, about how I didn't need to pay for any of this and that anyone who asks for money from me for this I should report that person right away. The only payment I would need to make, she told me, would be for the "edicto" which I would have to print in a newspaper. But that would come way later and they would tell me what to write and in which newspaper to write.

Then she told me that I had to practice speaking basic Spanish which I can do fine but I was dead nervous and had a lot of "Aaaaaaaa" moments but anyway. She said she could see that I understood most of what she said and that I could read and write Spanish. She said that later along the way there will be a Spanish test where I will be required to read and write something in Spanish and then have a conversation with somebody in that office in very basic Spanish to make sure I know what I'm doing. So that sucks a little bit because now I have to start practicing talking in Spanish more. Its good that my wife speaks Spanish and I can speak with her to practice.

Then I left the office after making sure I had all the original documents back with me. The whole process from start (going to the first office) to finish (exiting the secretary's office) took all of 53 minutes.

Cost so far: $15 pesos for photocopies and $5 round trip on the subte = $20 pesos total

Anyway, sometime next week I will go back to the office with my wife and all the rest of the documents that they asked for and will update this thread then. Hope this helps.

Stay TUNED!

The Spanish test is also about the National Constitution with that Judge.

I need to know the constitution by heart or be able to read and write it? :unsure:

PS: For those who would like to know, the judge I've been assigned is Juzgado 10 and Secretaria 19.

Why are you applying for citizenship and not just keeping permanent residency?

Why are you applying for citizenship and not just keeping permanent residency?

Because it doesn't hurt to have two passports. And also because I currently live in Argentina and have the chance to apply for citizenship.

Because it doesn't hurt to have two passports. And also because I currently live in Argentina and have the chance to apply for citizenship.

Was just curious. Have you considered the tax implications?

Hellooooooo, there is no difference between foreigners with permanent residency and citizens regarding taxes.

Thank you. Argentina has a residency-based tax system. So you don't pay taxes when you are no longer living here. So there is no problem getting Argentine citizenship.

Be prepared for a long process with the citizenship. I have been trying to get mine since 2006. They lost my entire file and I had to start from the beginning. Some tips:

1. Every time you submit a document, bring a photocopy and have them put an official stamp on it when you submit it to them and then keep it in your files. So if they lose your file you can reconstruct it with your photocopies. I didn't do this and so I got screwed. I had to start all over.
2. The fiscal just asked me for my FBI records in the USA (even though I have already been examined by every single Argentine security agency, plus Interpol). I'm not sure where you are form, but you may want to get your police records from your home country and submit them also.
3. The Spanish test was really easy. They made me copy something from the constitution and then read it back to them. You can pass this even if you don't understand Spanish. As long as you can more or less pronounce the words and read you will be ok.
4. They might want to reject you if you don't have a job. Maybe you should get a monotributo or something. I think an income is required. They don't want to give citizenship to bums. Same deal for me... the fiscal requested more info about my income, etc. So I had to submit a certificate from an accountant showing that I had an income in Argentina.
5. Remember, after you submit all the paperwork, the fiscal is the person who represents the State of Argentina and he will try to find reasons to block your citizenship. So you need to be ready to submit all the paperwork to counter his attempts to bock you.

The judge then decides based on your paperwork and what the fiscal says, whether to give you citizenship or not. I'm still trying to convince the fiscal. :-(

A lot of people are misinformed about the taxes both here and the US. I'm a permanent resident so I'm required to pay all the taxes that the citizens are required to pay.

el_expatriado,

Thanks for the tips. I currently have nothing else but this going on, so I guess if it takes a while I will be okay with that...as long as it doesn't take as long as 6 years (which seems to be your case).

I didn't know about photocopying the documents and getting them stamped in case I needed them later. I will do so from now on.

I'll look into the police records as well. I was under the impression that I should submit only the things they ask for.

If the Spanish test is how you say it is then that shouldn't be a problem. I can pronounce Spanish perfectly but I think my judge requires that I be able to converse in basic Spanish. I know basic Spanish, I just get uncomfortable talking in it since this is my first foreign language that I have taken a jab at learning. But we'll see. I still have a little bit of time to practice with my wife. Hehe

They've accepted the fact that my wife supports us both financially. They just want to see a certificate from her company stating that she works there and earns what she earns.

Do you ever meet the "fiscal" or do they just tell you what it is the fiscal wants you to bring? Also, how often do you or did you go back to the juzgado to check your status? Is there an online way to do it (Lol, funny I know, but you never know when they decide to embrace the internets)?

Back