Apt. Rental in Pesos...?? Light Blue Rate..??

Rich One

Registered
Have contacted several Apt for Rentals in Craigslist, the conversion rate to pay in pesos is between 5,50 and 6 pesos per dollar. Any input, what is a fair
rate ?:confused:

check bytargentina - they used 5 peso exchange rate a week ago - the same day one could sell on the black market for 6.20

I wonder if that byt 5 peso rate is a result of an approximate average of the official and the blue rate? For example, apprx. 4.5 + 6.4 = 10.9 / 2 = 5.5 (slightly higher than byt but equals what the original poster mentioned)
I suppose that seems fair for both renter and landlord. Or are the landlords supposed to be using the official rate.
I'd say, definitely do not accept a fully blue rate, especially if you can't get your pesos at a good rate.

I tried to rent an apartment and they insisted on a 7.1 exchange. Turned that one down.

Argento said:
Or are the landlords supposed to be using the official rate.
I'd say, definitely do not accept a fully blue rate, especially if you can't get your pesos at a good rate.

They should, no doubt.

BASailor said:
They should, no doubt.

Yes, by all means expect them to accept a rate at which they cannot get dollars. Why not make them accept tomatoes as well - at a rate of 5 pesos per kilo?

Why should the burden be on them to accept a rate unfavorable to them (and unrealistic) any more than on the tenant?

The official price of a dollar will get you less than 75 cents in reality. Why is it anything but selfish - stupidly selfish - to ignore this?

"The official price of a dollar will get you less than 75 cents in reality. Why is it anything but selfish - stupidly selfish - to ignore this?"

Ermmmmm, because the official rate is the law and the unofficial rate is illegal . If your landlord was a drug addict and asked to be paid in cocaine would you oblige? Or say, OK half in cocaine half in cash ?

ofcourse as a landlord they don't want the bank rate, which really actually isn't the rate. but at the same time for the renter its not fair either! i rent my apartment out and meet in the middle always, but luckily i have an account outside of Argentina so me and the renter have a win, win situation. but you can't actually expect the renter to rent at 4.5!

Tourist2008 said:
"The official price of a dollar will get you less than 75 cents in reality. Why is it anything but selfish - stupidly selfish - to ignore this?"

Ermmmmm, because the official rate is the law and the unofficial rate is illegal . If your landlord was a drug addict and asked to be paid in cocaine would you oblige? Or say, OK half in cocaine half in cash ?

I love how everybody uses the drug comparison (someone on another thread used the Bangkok sex trade, even better). So to get very technical on this:

Dollars are not a prohibited commodity. They are at most a commodity on which the government is trying to force its price, a price which does not exist in the market. Even going by your logic, the only "illegal" thing is the rate, not the commodity itself. In some cases, the government demands payment in dollars - not cocaine - even in this country.

So to stretch your analogy to it's limits, at the very most one could use the examples of some other commodity subsidized by the government and then severely restricted. For example, oil: with it's price set by gov't, empty shelves, quantity reduced to 1 or 2 per customer and with a 20-30% markup in chinos - tacitly accepted by the govt. If the payment terms include oil, would it be unreasonable to demand the price at which oil can actually be bought? (Without resorting to going into Disco thousands of times over - dollars don't even have that option)

Dollars are not drugs. Except that in this country, everyone - including in government, it would appear - gets high on them.

In effect landlors now have two rates.

either (for example) us$1000 if paid in dollars or ar$6500 if paid in pesos. Think of the dollar price as a discount.

These are the prices, you have to decide whether you want to pay.

There wont be a policeman in the room when you pay your money and sign your contract, so if its illegal its purely academic.

Back