Are Citibank Uruguay And Citibank Usa Connected?

wongjoh

Registered
I want to avoid cross-bank money transfer hassles and fees, and saw that there is a Citibank Uruguay.

If I have a US Citibank account, would I be able to access it from Uruguay just as easily as if I was in the US? For example, walk into the branch in Montevideo (is there one in Colonia?) and make deposits / withdrawals at the cashier's window without having to open another Uruguayan account?

I want to avoid cross-bank money transfer hassles and fees, and saw that there is a Citibank Uruguay.

If I have a US Citibank account, would I be able to access it from Uruguay just as easily as if I was in the US? For example, walk into the branch in Montevideo (is there one in Colonia?) and make deposits / withdrawals at the cashier's window without having to open another Uruguayan account?

I touched on this topic a few years ago, in the days before the blue dollar, at http://tinyurl.com/m8tkvd9. My best guess is that it won't be simple.

I've never done it, but it should be fairly easy to do. Argentina's banking system might as well be done in a cave with an abacus and polished rocks rather than being integrated with the banking system in the rest of the world.

You can use the ATM´s, getting a max of 900 USD per day (3 extractions of 300 ea.)

You need to open an account with Citibank in Montevideo (Dollar and/or Peso), no Colonia branch, then transfer funds to that account to be able to withdraw, deposit etc. Citibank Argentina will not cash your US checks or receive Dollar deposits....! Only allows you to withdraw, via ATM, pesos at the Official rate...!

You can open an account easily in Colonia with Banco Republica Oriental del Uruguay and do the same thing.

@ajoknoblauch: Thanks for the link, but do you know if I can go inside (not the ATM) the Uruguay branch and just withdraw whatever I want from my own account? Or is it still treated as a separate entity?

These things are kind of tough here in BA, so I am hoping it gets easier by going to Uruguay every so often.

@ajoknoblauch: Thanks for the link, but do you know if I can go inside (not the ATM) the Uruguay branch and just withdraw whatever I want from my own account? Or is it still treated as a separate entity?

These things are kind of tough here in BA, so I am hoping it gets easier by going to Uruguay every so often.

Given that Uruguayan banking laws are more relaxed, I expect you may be able to work something out with them, but that you'll still have to pay some transfer charges, as you will with the ATMs.

Back