Are Return Flights Required At Customs/immigration?

NataDali

Registered
Hola all!

My family and I are moving to BA in mid October.... before we buy our flights just wanted to know if customs/immigration requires a return flight?

Any tips will be greatly appreciated! :) Also, if we are travelling with extra luggage, will this be a problem?

Much appreciated!

-Nata

They never require you to purchase a return ticket but please keep this in mind:

1. RT tickets are most of the time cheaper than one ways!
2. Also immigration does have the right to ask if you when you're going back assuming you say you are just visiting so it helps to have that return leg printed out on an itinerary in case they do ask (probably is quite rare)

Most problems are created by the airlines you are flying rather than any immigration.

So call up the carrier and ask them...

mostly return ticket is same price or at times cheaper than 1 way ticket

My family and I are moving to BA in mid October.... before we buy our flights just wanted to know if customs/immigration requires a return flight?

The airline you are flying on (especially if your flights originate in the USA) may demand proof of onward travel before you are allowed to board, Other members have posted that US carriers take this very seriously and some have had to buy full fare return tickets in order to be allowed to board. Of course they canceled the return flight and got full refunds for the tickets. I think one member actually canceled the return ticket while he was waiting to board the plane. You can also print an itinerary with travel by boat to Uruguay near the 90 day mark, but I'm not sure if that will satisfy the airline.

Also, if we are travelling with extra luggage, will this be a problem?

It depends on what you bring in the bags. You can bring in all the used clothes you want and many other "used" items (not in original packaging) as well.

Each person is allowed $300 (unless there has been a recent change) in "new" merchandise, but the last time I entered Argentina I had five heavy suitcases with several pairs of new shoes and a lot of clothes (almost all used and in my size). I also had new sheets, towels, curtains, some cookware, etc., but no new electronics. I had no problems with customs.

Hopefully, other members will add more information.

The boat option will normally satisfy airlines . I used it in the past when my situation was slightly irregular....

Hola all!

Any tips will be greatly appreciated! :) Also, if we are travelling with extra luggage, will this be a problem?

Much appreciated!

-Nata

Customs/immigration were never interested whether I had a return flight or not in my numerous trips to Argentina before I moved here permanently.Then again as a holder of a British passport they probably reckoned I'd have to be nuts to stay here longer than allowed anyway.

Joking aside, I'd say their reaction very much depends on your nationality.

I don't know if it matters, but if you can arrive before 8 in the morning they don't really pay attention as they scan your bag in customs. I recently came back from Europe with suitcases full off stuff. Really it was an asortment of stuff but most of is was plates and other ceramics that I collected as a teenager before I knew that I would be living on a different continent. My parents are selling my childhood home so I had to empty Out all the things I left in their basement 17 years ago. We are a family of five, so we went through with five checked in bags of 25 kilos each and five handbags full of plates plus "personal items". True we have residency / nationality.

Check with your airline - they don't care here but your airline very well may demand proof of onward travel.

Extra luggage is NBD for aduana here if you're entering as a tourist.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated!

Since this was your first and so far only post I just want to be sure you are aware of recent policy changes regarding foreigners who "move" to Argentina and overstay the tourist visa.

If you already have all of the paperwork required to obtain residency (in any of the categorizes for which temporary residency is granted) you shouldn't have any problems. if, however, like many expats in the past fifteen years, you are "moving" to Argentina and plan to enter on a 90 day tourist visa and stay beyond the expiration date (or a 90 day extension) of the visa, I suggest you read this thread:

The Breakdown Is Here: Jail For Irregulars http://baexpats.org/topic/35818-the-breakdown-is-here-jail-for-irregulars/

Back