Are there no more repatration flights to the US from Argentina?

Fiscal

Registered
I haven't gotten any emails from the embassy in weeks about repatriation flights. Are they over?

There are a bunch of “special” flights.
They’re not really calling them “repatriation” flights anymore, possibly because -
  1. most people that wished to be repatriated have long done so;
  2. perhaps not coincidentally, at least as far as the US is concerned, these flights are no longer solely for US citizens and residents.
    Argentines with visas are free to buy tickets as well.
Aerolineas and Eastern fly most Fridays to Miami but their flights are basically fully booked for the coming weeks.
Other Aerolineas flights:
  • JFK weekly starting next Thursday;
  • SP Brazil every Monday (from where you can connect to LATAM or AA to Miami, or United to Newark or Houston - but only if you are a US citizen or LPR)
  • Santiago most Fridays, from there you can connect to LATAM or AA to Miami.

If “regular” flights don’t start in September, which is by no means out of the question, this “special flight” regime will likely be extended if not expanded.
Over at this thread, @antipodean has been doing a wonderful job of keeping everyone up to date on the latest developments.

Last edited:
If “regular” flights don’t start in September, which is by no means out of the question, this “special flight” regime will likely be extended if not expanded.
Over at this thread, @antipodean has been doing a wonderful job of keeping everyone up to date on the latest developments.

I read in this post, regular flights have been postponed for 60 days and someone else posted that they couldn't book flights to around a mid-October departure date.

Lots of flights have been cancelled, yes, but lots are still being sold for September.
It’s Argentina, so until the flights actually take off I suppose we won’t know.

Any experience with whether or not Aerolinas contacts the ticketholders to cancel? Or do you just show up and find out the flight is cancelled?

I have no idea what happens if you buy tickets directly from the airline - for people buying with me, it’s my job to let my clients know (unless the cancellation is last moment).

There are a bunch of “special” flights.
They’re not really calling them “repatriation” flights anymore, possibly because -
  1. most people that wished to be repatriated have long done so;
  2. perhaps not coincidentally, at least as far as the US is concerned, these flights are no longer solely for US citizens and residents.
    Argentines with visas are free to buy tickets as well.
Aerolineas and Eastern fly most Fridays to Miami but their flights are basically fully booked for the coming weeks.
Other Aerolineas flights:
  • JFK weekly starting next Thursday;
  • SP Brazil every Monday (from where you can connect to LATAM or AA to Miami, or United to Newark or Houston - but only if you are a US citizen or LPR)
  • Santiago most Fridays, from there you can connect to LATAM or AA to Miami.

Wait a second, with all these regular flights out of the country, how is the airport/border closed?

I just went to aerolíneas website and it let me book a round trip ticket in October to Miami and back.

Wait a second, with all these regular flights out of the country, how is the airport/border closed?

The border was never actually closed for Argentine citizens/residents.
Argentina always allowed its own people to come and leave. (Compare with Australia, which bans nearly all travel out of the country).

The closure consisted of cutting off nearly all flights except repatriation/special flights.
The repatriation flights indeed only allowed US citizens/residents, so for most Argentines the border was for all intents closed - there were no flights to get out.
Even then, though, if you were willing to pay the exorbitant cost of taking a private plane to Chile or Brazil and transferring to a commercial flight from there, you could - and several did. Total cost to get from BsAs to NY ran from 2 to 3 thousand dollars - a lot of money, but the option was there if you truly needed it.

The border was never closed is my point.
And now the special flights have some degree of regularity, so the border is not really closed at all.
There’s just a lot less flights than usual.

Last edited:
Back