Arg. Permanent Residents Need A Tourist Visa For Brazil?

gpop

Registered
Considering a vacation in Brazil, is there anyone that knows the in's and out's of entering Brazil with a foreigner DNI and Canadian passport? If so, anyone have experience with Brazilian consulate on the matter?
I'm not quite sure about the limits of travel between Mercosur countries.

A DNI, any kind of it, should be enough to visit Uruguay, Brasil (probably not Chile and IDK about Paraguay after it was expelled) when travelling overland. Flying should be the same thing. They can't forbid you to from flying out of Argentina for not having a Brasilian visa, and I doubt they will deny you entry into Bresil with a DNI even if provisory or precario. Double check of course please.

A DNI, any kind of it, should be enough to visit Uruguay, Brasil (probably not Chile and IDK about Paraguay after it was expelled) when travelling overland. Flying should be the same thing. They can't forbid you to from flying out of Argentina for not having a Brasilian visa, and I doubt they will deny you entry into Bresil with a DNI even if provisory or precario. Double check of course please.

This is not true and has been discussed in multiple threads. If your country of origin requires a visa, only a DNI is NOT sufficient. For US citizens, this means that both Paraguay and Brazil require visas.

sleslie23 is correct, and Matt is not.

Most countries around here - with the exception of Chile - care about your citizenship, and your Argentine residence means (almost*) nothing. US and Canadian citizens require a visa (not just pay a reciprocity fee) to enter Paraguay and Brazil, except that Paraguay grants this visa upon arrival, you don't have to go to an embassy first.

Chile is the only country I am aware of that will let you enter solely with an Argentine DNI, and actually waive requirements otherwise applicable to nationals of the given country.

* I wrote 'almost nothing' because in the case of Uruguay, the DNI may free you from having to bring a passport: they will check the citizenship listed on your Argentine DNI, and allow entry if nationals of that country can enter Uruguay visa free anyways (as Americans or Canadians can). So, US or Canadian citizens who hold an Argentine (permanent?) DNI can travel with just the DNI and don't need to bring the passport. But the DNI grants no rights that the passport would not.

There was a thread a two or three days ago in which we discussed the same thing. Can't remember name of thread, didn't feel like looking for it :)

Turns out that Uruguay specifically states that a foreign holder of an Argentine DNI can cross using only his DNI (Chile was mentioned as being able to do this but we didn't put up text proving that, as I recall).

Both Paraguay and Brasil state that a foreigner must cross with their passports, countries with no visa on demand agreements in Brasil or Paraguay needed a visa as well as the passport. Even from the UK, for example, which needs no visa for Brasil, still needs a passport even with a permanent residency in Argentina.

Chile was mentioned as being able to do this but we didn't put up text proving that, as I recall).

Text or not, I can personally vouch for this. I had already paid the Chilean reciprocity fee on a prior trip, but wanted to see what would happen if I made no mention of that, and presented only my DNI. Was perfectly fine. In the end I ended up showing both, mainly to be 100% sure that this wasn't an oversight on their part, and asked them point blank if DNI was enough. They told me it's my choice what document I want to use, but once my reciprocity fee expires I'd have to use my Argentine DNI if I wanted to enter without paying again.

Check this website http://visados.com/en/visa-for-Brazil

As ElQueso said, we discussed it not long ago and it seems only Uruguay allows Foreign DNI from Argentina. Other local countries seem to need a passport (visa aswell depending on nationality)

Back