Argentina’s Left-Wing President Is Deepening the COVID-19 Recession

I am on the fence because I agree that Argentina is a mess but am also wary if the author is as Renzi describes. However, does the article really need to have a solution to be useful or to mean something? I don't think it does and that's not even the goal of most articles.

I am on the fence because I agree that Argentina is a mess but am also wary if the author is as Renzi describes. However, does the article really need to have a solution to be useful or to mean something? I don't think it does and that's not even the goal of most articles.

This is just me, but I'd say the answer to your questions depends on whether the article in question is op-ed or straight reporting.

The proposed solution is right there in the article:

The Fernández government must cut public spending. The pandemic is no excuse for economic mismanagement.

You might disagree, but the article pretty clearly articulates its position that the government is spending well beyond its means, supported by unsustainable debt and expanding money supply to cause what's approaching hyper-inflation. They're trying to keep inflation in check by limiting access to and outflow of dollars, locking people into a peso that prevents any form of savings. This system (if you can call it that) undermines business development in a huge way, independent of all the barriers the government has thrown up in the form of regulations, confiscatory taxes, etc. (which the article also mentions in passing).

Basically, the idea is that the sustained sabotage of a business motor to the economy only increases the population's dependence on government, which reinforces political pressure to continue the same failed fiscal and monetary policies: a vicious cycle, the only solution or rebalancing for which will be spending cuts and tax/regulatory changes to get the private sector providing what the government trying to.

Back