Argentina’s ties with China deepen under Fernández

Reminds me of when I was on business in Ethiopia and visiting a construction site last year. All the African workers were working under AK-47 wielding guards and everyone needed Chinese government issued security credentials to access the site. All the professionals, companies, hotels, cars, products etc were Chinese. Chinese language signs were more prominent than English language signs all around Addis, including at the airport. I won’t even comment on the safety and quality standards that I witnessed.

For those thank think turning towards China is turning away from globalization or economic or cultural imperialism, think again. It’s just replacing one with the other, and this one cares much less for concepts like human rights and democracy - something that will appeal to wannabe authoritarians like Alberto and his ilk.

same when I was in Kenya and Tanzania a couple years ago. Chinese signs and language everywhere.

They had a really nice looking rail line though

I wonder how the labor unions will react when China brings in all of it's convict workers to complete these projects.

same when I was in Kenya and Tanzania a couple years ago. Chinese signs and language everywhere.

They had a really nice looking rail line though
So does Ethiopia, huge station and super expensive trains - however at the time I was there there was still only one train a week, and most weeks it was cancelled.
But no worries, just throw it on the tab that Ethiopia owes and has no hope of ever paying - the infrastructure of the state is the collateral anyway.

Last edited:
China is a hard money lender; I'd sooner bet on the western markets getting excited about Argentina again -- give it three years.

China is filling the vacuum that the US has left in the region, for better or worse. Aside from its two-decades-long obsession with Venezuela and Obama-Hillary's mini coup in Honduras in 2009, the US hasn't been very engaged here since the end of the cold war, and in general, their approach is very much still stuck in that era.

For instance, some might remember a few years back there was a scandal when Chinese gifted the former Mexican first lady with a 6M mansion. More recently, they've been engaged in large-scale illegal fishing throughout South America.

"Getting in bed" with The Chinese will prove to be a long term error. The problem is Argentina needs a short term fix!

China's interest in Argentina is simply to get a geographic foothold on this side of the world. And they are approaching a wounded country that they know is desperate and highly likely to be receptive to their presence.

A very bad, long term relationship is how I see this. This relationship will serve none of this part of the world. The money and economic assistance will have the same affect as heroine ... a short term fix / high.

China is filling the vacuum that the US has left in the region, for better or worse. Aside from its two-decades-long obsession with Venezuela and Obama-Hillary's mini coup in Honduras in 2009, the US hasn't been very engaged here since the end of the cold war, and in general, their approach is very much still stuck in that era.

For instance, some might remember a few years back there was a scandal when Chinese gifted the former Mexican first lady with a 6M mansion. More recently, they've been engaged in large-scale illegal fishing throughout South America.

Generally the region pisses on US activity in Latin America.... You are also omitting the one significant US regional success, namely, Plan Colombia.

Back