Argentina extended Visa option?

rwbana

Registered
Hello Everyone! I'm self employed in the USA and am considering taking my family to Argentina for a 1 year work/cultural experience. My wife an I are currently opening the Argentina market for doTERRA essential oils. We also were thinking this would be an amazing cultural experience for our 4 children..learn spanish, etc.

With the doTERRA thing, we don't work for the corporate side, but rather would be training independent consultants in Argentina who want to be distributors of the products so I don't think I can officially say I'm there on corporate business.

Could someone point me in the right direction to look into extended stay VISA options?

Thanks!

You can easily stay for six months by entering on a 90 day tourist visa and getting a 90 day extension at the office of migraciones. The present cost of the extension is $2700 per person if requested prior to the expiration of the original visa.

TOURIST: Any foreigner who enters the country for the purpose of rest or recreation, with a period of authorized stay of up to THREE (3) MONTHS PRORROGABLE FOR ANOTHER SIMILAR PERIOD.

EXTENSION: it can be done at the National Directorate of Migration, from 8 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., building 4 sector, extensions, or in the delegations and immigration offices in the interior of the country.

Requests for extension of residence, as well as the request for change of category or migratory subcategory, must be made within SIXTY days prior to the expiration of the temporary residence and within TEN days prior to the expiration of the (90 day tourist visa).

The foreigner who presents himself spontaneously and voluntarily within THIRTY days of the expiration of the periods foreseen in the previous point, will suffer a surcharge of FIFTY PER CENT of the amount of the rate foreseen for the extension procedure of residence or for the change of category or subcategory of migration.

Source: http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/indexA.php?turistas

PS: If you want to stay for one year you will have to show a passive and stable source of investment income in the amount of (presently) thirty pesos per month and provide a ton of paperwork as well as pay a lot more in fees and the expenses related to getting all of the documents (as opposed to just paying for the 90 day extensions).

It might be a great "cultural experience" for you kids but unless they are already being home schooled, the impact on their "education" in the USA is something to consider, i. e. would removing them from the public schools for a year leave them a grade "behind" when they return?

Is the 90 extension always granted? Was that $2700 dollars or pesos? My kids have been homeschooled in the past...

Also, I've already been to Argentina twice since March but only for a total of 4 days combined. Will this factor into my 90 days?

Is the 90 extension always granted? Was that $2700 dollars or pesos? My kids have been homeschooled in the past...

You can only get one 90 day extension per year (365 days). In the past, a few expats who made visa runs to Uruguay to get new 90 day visas after getting their first prorroga were turned down when they asked for a prorroga of their "new" 90 day visas.

Those were in the "old days" and I wouldn't suggest anyone go to migraciones now to ask for a second prorroga in the same year.

The fee is in pesos.

Also, I've already been to Argentina twice since March but only for a total of 4 days combined. Will this factor into my 90 days?

I don't think your previous visits will be a factor, but it's not up to me. Hopefully, someone else can answer this question with greater certainty.

Your previous visit has nothing to do with the new 90 days that will be granted. I was here in March, I spent 25 days then I got back home. I returned in Argentina in June, I was granted another 90 days. I went to migraciones last week to request a "prorroga de permanencia" for my wife who didn't leave since March, and I was told I can get one as well when my 90 days expire in September.

There are no rules Manolo. The best advice is come on a tourist visa and pay the fine the day you leave. Avoid immigration.

Bajo, you are the expert!!!! Not me, haha!!!
Bajo_Cero and Steves are the best!!!
Thank you guys for everything!

There are no rules Manolo. The best advice is come on a tourist visa and pay the fine the day you leave. Avoid immigration.

Bajo...if I'm understanding you correctly, If I stay 180 days (6 months) then upon leaving the country, they will charge me 2700 pesos for each person in my family for the extra 90 days I stayed?

Forgot to ask...I've entered Argentina 2 times already and without any Visa. Just my USA passport. Do I need to apply at the Argentine embassy for a VISA to Argentina? Thanks!

Back