Argentina gets a $500mln loan for climate change

I always wonder how Argentina is continually able to con other countries into lending it money. Is it because they're playing west/Russia/China influence games? Do they have blackmail on someone? This is almost as good as lighting the money straight on fire.

Ironically enough, I read an account of convertibility crisis from 01/02 -- pretty well written. Anyway, the author suggests that one of the "human factors" leading up to the crisis was that the world bank personnel just loved visiting Blacks so much that they kept coming back for more.

Steve, I do fully agree, but this thread is now at risk of devolving into an argument about US politics, and we really don't want to go there.

If we're going to argue, let's argue Argentine politics, ok?
I could not let that comment stand without a reply. It had nothhig whatsoever to do with US poltics.
"
Traveler (who makes many posts I like). implied that Argentine politicians make "The Big Guy" look like a sainted virgin, almost."

Most of us know that "The Big Guy " is probably a US politician, but I wasn't referring to him as a politician, I was referring to him as a perverse degenerate who should never be compared to a saintly virgin, regardles of the context or the topic of any thread.

PS: If you could not agree more with what I wrote, why did you "like" the post which I replied to, without saying something yourself?

The blatant corruption here makes The Big Guy look like a sainted virgin. Almost.
PS2: The word "almost" does "qualify" the post somewhat, but comparing "The Big Guy" to a "sainted virgin" in the slighest, and in any context, was something which I was compelled to reply to.

Last edited:
We don't really need a presidential plane, for starters, Argentine presidents don't travel abroad as much as other world leaders do, we're in the middle of a horrible economic crisis, and didn't Macri almost exclusively travel abroad in 1st/business on commercial airlines without issue as Alberto had been doing up until now?

I get it's "only" 25 Million which isn't a lot of money for a country, but it's a symptom of not appreciating that you're asking everyone else to tighten their bootstraps without doing it yourself.

Anyways, as to the original post, I'm sure this loan will surely be used effectively, like all other previous loans to Argentina.

I do find it amusing how proud they seem to be about purchasing a 22 year old Boeing 757

We don't really need a presidential plane, for starters, Argentine presidents don't travel abroad as much as other world leaders do, we're in the middle of a horrible economic crisis, and didn't Macri almost exclusively travel abroad in 1st/business on commercial airlines without issue as Alberto had been doing up until now?

I get it's "only" 25 Million which isn't a lot of money for a country, but it's a symptom of not appreciating that you're asking everyone else to tighten their bootstraps without doing it yourself.

Anyways, as to the original post, I'm sure this loan will surely be used effectively, like all other previous loans to Argentina.
They borrow because they don’t have money available to spend? They buy multimillion dollar toys and then ask for more loans to pay for “important” stuff like climate change.
They “fight” climate change? They increase their own carbon foot print.

It wouldn’t seem sooo extravagant if they didn’t already have a state owned airline costing almost a billion dollars a year in subsidies. The government complained that it had to pay $4000 an hour to charter an AR A330 for Presidential trips …. The operating costs for an aging VIP 757 operation will be even higher, plus you need to amortize the purchase on top of it all.

Ironically AR does offer a modern fleet that produces far less carbon emissions than the old discontinued model that the government just purchased, presumably so that AF and CFK don’t need to “endure” their sandwiches de miga any longer.

As always one step forward, two steps back while walking around in a circle.

As always one step forward, two steps back while walking around in a circle.
Argentina reminds me a lot of Matthew McConaughey in True Detective Season 1
This-is-a-world-where-nothing-is-solved.-Someone-once-told-me-time-is-a-flat-circle.-Everything-we-have-ever-done-or-will-do-we-are-gonna-do-over-and-over-and-over-again..jpg

Argentina reminds me a lot of Matthew McConaughey in True Detective Season 1
This-is-a-world-where-nothing-is-solved.-Someone-once-told-me-time-is-a-flat-circle.-Everything-we-have-ever-done-or-will-do-we-are-gonna-do-over-and-over-and-over-again..jpg

I was just watching that! And honestly the thing that made me quit watching was all that existentialist bullshit. They just slather it on deeper and deeper as the season goes on, and I reached the point I wasn't willing to waste my time listening to any more. I mean, yeah yeah yeah, I read Sartre, in high school, then I grew up.

Back