Argentina: Land of the Generous

...and while we're on the topic of generosity and tolerance!Let's not forget that we are living in the most Gay friendly city in all of Latin America.Yea!, once again, Buenos Aires!I know that there are those that would prefer that the trains run on time...but I'm proud of that fact all the same.KEEP 'EM COMING! We haven't even started to describe how wonderful and wonderfully challenged and wonderfully supported this place is!Sometimes I feel as poorly equipped as Almirante Brown against this tide of negativity......but if it didn't faze Admiral Willie B...it ain't gonna faze me!

When I went to pay for my internet use the other night, I was 5 cents short but had a 20 peso note. The deskclerk told me not to worry about the 5 centavos.
The landlady where I live gives me Salami and Crackers to eat. The Salamis not bad, especially with cheese. I always say thank you and wash the plate before giving it back. She's generous. I'm polite. So we get along.

The weather!I used to think that my dear Chicago had the worst weather on earth...of any place that could claim all 4 seasons. I think BsAs has the best weather in the world judged by that same criterion. I'd love a statistic if anyone has it because this place seems to have 300 days of sunshine a year.
Spring is the best...long and deep and filled to the brim with flowers and sun.Summer is great and lacks the humidity and high temperatures of continental N.Am.Autumn is lovely with the amazing diversity of trees...chilly enough for the leaves to chance on some, warm enough to leave the palms happy.Winter is sunny and pretty and never reaches freezing.Each season really feels about 3 months long. Long enough to enjoy each one...and short enough to move you along to the next without longing for relief. Here's a statistic: average temp year-round is 68F.
If you know any midwesterner that lives in Hawaii you'll have heard (in their unguarded moments) how boringly beautiful the weather is there, every day, day after day. "Sometimes I wish it would just DO something," I've heard on more than one occasion.The weather here is almost paradisical.

The weather indeed, I'm briefly now in London, cold, damp, and dark by 4pm.
I'm looking forward to returning soon to the warmth and generousity of the people of Argentina.

We argentinians think the summer in BA is extremely humid and hot (not like Misiones though). Places like Cordoba have a far better reputation for its weather. Mendoza is known as "la tierra del sol y del buen vino".Anyways, I miss BA's weather here in Germany.

How refreshing it is to finally read some positive posts about Argentina. We all have choices to make and that's why we live here, right? Sure, the country has some serious socio economic problems. Surely we see these every day..the villas...the strikes and the less common kidnappings. I lived here 74-76..now that was scary. I was almost kidnapped myself. Argentina is still recovering from severe wounds inflicted by the likes of Videla, Viola, Galtieri, Massera (I knew or met some of them) et al, not to mention Lopez Rega.
What amazes me about the Argentines is their stoicism and simpatia. They seem to harbour no resentment to we Brits, in fact my Argentine friends encourage me to discuss this(Malvinas). I do so reluctantly, but with respect and good humour.
I moved from Spain to live here. I made a choice...I couldn't get on with the Spanish, I couldn't connect. Here I can. It's no mystery. I just love this country and it's people.
PS..It does help to be in love with my beautiful Argentine lady of course :)

"pericles" said:
Tourism will continue to grow as most of the tourism comes from Brazil a country of over 200 million people with a ever increasing middle class .
Sure it will be dearer in the coming years and that will put the brake somewhat on american tourism but the surrounding markets of Brazil and other south american countries will give this country many years of economic growth
Not with a yearly inflation rate of 25%

Back