Argentina, Second Most Miserable Country On Earth?

RichardP

Registered
The CATO institute thinks so.

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/most-miserable-countries-in-the-world-109994165012.html

I doubt it is the 2nd most unhappy country!
I am sure the inhabitants of Haiti, Central African Republic, Congo, DPRK(North Korea), Iraq, N. Nigeria and many others are higher on the unhappy list. This being said, how is one to be happy here(that is is you have some contact with reality) while there is rampant BLATANT corruption, impunity, high inflation, massive lack of personal security, incertainty for the near and distant future, etc etc etc??? Such maddness like what we have now and have had many times before would be not tolerated in the vast majority of countries where most our families and us came from!

I agree with Esteban, still....
So Sudan is slightly happier than South Africa, and Serbia (sic) and Spain are the saddest countries in Europe. It's probably all that sunshine reflecting on the Med.
Notice Serbia is happier than Brazil. I have no idea what to make of this.

I guess the biggest surprise are the Happiest Countries. I understand that the Sultan of Brunei and his employees might be happy. I also understand that food and "contentment" is cheaper in China than anywhere else, but still, is China one of the happiest countries in the World?

Also notice how Mexico is quiet happy (unlike Brazil) and even happier than Ireland!

The CATO institute? is that the same CATO from the Pink Panther films I wonder.

I feel pretty miserable here. I'm a US citizen living in Lanus. Not a nice place, actually, it's down-right disgusting! They told me that Lnaus is the east side of Buenos Aires, the slums. The streets are always full of dirty, rotten water, dog and cat shit, stray cats and dogs, fleas, cockroaches, mosquitoes, rotten garbage (because of the dogs getting into it, and the poor sanitation services), and old, decrepit houses build on top of one another so my bedroom window is literally facing my neighbor's front door, so every time they come in or out they can look right into my bedroom. Oh, and for the first time in my life I've seen rats near the place I'm living. They're actually in my house, too, and I began to see them dead randomly in different places, like a few times on my roof, and once in the street. I didn't even mention the horrible noise and air pollution, the danger, even of just going around the corner to the store, and the fact that everyone here seems to be a drunk, a drug addict, and a heavy smoker (of tobacco). I'd say it's pretty miserable here, at least for expats from the US, which has much higher living standards, even in slummy areas. It's also impossible for me, being considered illegal here, to find work, and i cannot get a bank account or buy a vehicle (also because I don't have 120,000 pesos to do so). I almost forgot to mention how ridiculously expensive it is here. A kilo of meat can cost up to 200 pesos, and if I need deodorant it can cost me up to 80 pesos, for one bar. Expensive, considering the average person here makes around less than 6,000 pesos per month, that's around 1500-1800 per week, not including what they take out for taxes. I definitely experienced culture-shock in the first 8-10 months that I was here.
I will say one thing though, I did find that the people here, for the most part, are much nicer, sociable, and I've had complete strangers open their homes to me. The people here seem to be happy anyway, I think it's just because I wasn't born and raised here, so I notice the bad and disturbing things, but for everyone else it's all normal.
-_-[font=lucida sans unicode'] [/font]

I guess I would believe this report about as much as I believe the folks who say Buenos Aires is the Paris of South America.

NO KIDDING!! I wanna punch those people! :mad:
Obviously they have no idea what they're talking about. Most likely, they've never been here.
I don't think there is a "Paris" of South America, neither is there one in North America. :mellow:

Back