Argentina sterilizes mosquitoes with radiation to battle dengue outbreak

Oh that's a scary idea.
The last time there was a major release of supposedly sterilized mosquitoes here in Latin America, (in Brazil), it was shortly followed by the Zika epidemic.

This is something I linked from US story about preparing for summer. DIY bucket to have mosquito lay eggs, but then a bacterial kills the larvae. Later as I read the instructions, it is not all DIY because you need to buy the pellet “dunks” into the bucket. I had heard of these pellets last time in US. Wonder if they are available to argentina. Not a poison, Mosquito Dunks release a bacteria (Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis aka B.t.i.)

This is something I linked from US story about preparing for summer. DIY bucket to have mosquito lay eggs, but then a bacterial kills the larvae. Later as I read the instructions, it is not all DIY because you need to buy the pellet “dunks” into the bucket. I had heard of these pellets last time in US. Wonder if they are available to argentina. Not a poison, Mosquito Dunks release a bacteria (Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis aka B.t.i.)

The major advantage of B. thuringiensis products is that they are thought to affect few non-target species. However, even though Bti may have minimal direct effects on non-target organisms, it may potentially be associated with knock-on effects on food webs and other ecosystem properties, including biodiversity and ecosystem functioning
as quoted from-

Back