Argentina stuck in the 1960's?

UK Man

Registered
Despite the pandemic my butcher,fishmonger,plumber and electrician have all *ucked off to Mar del Plata. That got me remembering what the Glasgow Fair summer holiday fortnight used to be lke when many people went to Blackpool for two weeks at the seaside. Thankfully those days are long gone in Glasgow. Starting in the 70's most workers were happy to spread their holiday allocation throughout the year thus allowing businesses to stay open.

Have to say it's just another example of why Argentina is firmly stuck in the past.

Ahh January in Argentina... like August in France or Germany with or without pandemic. A long summer holiday is a worker’s most cherished right.

Perhaps I don’t remember the sixties but my feel based on the general “vibe” of the place is that Argentina is stuck in the eighties or early nineties.
Except for perhaps politics and economics which seem well and truly stuck in the fifties - always looking back and never looking forward. Just take a look at the decor inside of the Casa Rosada - all black and white photos of yesteryear and zero celebration of contemporary Argentina - to see how this country values the past yet is unable to value or even accept the present or future.

Last edited:
Meat consumption in December 2020 the lowest in 100 years .. I want out..!

In Argentina, Gillette is running a series of commercials with a macho guy strutting around shaving finished off by being embraced by a googled eyed adoring lady. In the USA this would never be allowed. Last year Gillette debuted a series of commercials in the USA that criticized masculinity and featured a transgender adolescent learning to shave. Maybe Argentina is stuck in the 60's, but in a good way.

In Argentina, Gillette is running a series of commercials with a macho guy strutting around shaving finished off by being embraced by a googled eyed adoring lady. In the USA this would never be allowed. Last year Gillette debuted a series of commercials in the USA that criticized masculinity and featured a transgender adolescent learning to shave. Maybe Argentina is stuck in the 60's, but in a good way.
You haven't come across the "No me ayudes" ads then? https://www.lanacion.com.ar/lifestyle/no-me-ayudes-campana-propone-terminar-brecha-nid2290747

Back