Argentina, The Most Difficult Place To Do Business.

I find it hard to believe that Poland and "Korea" (south, north?) are in the top 10 hardest places to do business list.

Even though Brazil is number 2, the business seems to be booming there.
The market is about 5 times or more than Argentina, there opportunity is there.

Even though Brazil is number 2, the business seems to be booming there.
The market is about 5 times or more than Argentina, there opportunity is there.

Short term, we've had a few (non Argentine!) economists come in and give presentations in work. Brazil has some emerging issues, labour law flexibility isn't much better than Argentina and the Petrobas scandal is doing some serious reputational damage.

Brazil has more pressing infrastructure issues than Argentina, in terms of transport and some really serious issues in terms of water supply especially in Sao Paulo state. That's a growth liimiter right there. The airport and road network didn't get the boost that you'd have hoped for from the WC. Crime is a more pressing issue too.

RIght now Brazil is riding the crest of a boom in demand for raw material. That demand is contracting globally, if you can get in and get out Brazil is a good best short to medium term but I would worry long term whilst Dilma and co, are in power. Some trimming of public spending is necessary, some of the big construction firms are locked out of public works due to Petrobas. This is pretty bad timing with the Olympics coming up. You have to wonder what the hundreds of billions spent on the WC and Olympics will due for Brazil? Maybe hard to justify whist Sao Paulo chokes in traffic and gasps for water.

Argentina...well, things can only get slightly better after October. I'm being optimistic I suppose, but genuinely I have seen a number of corporations slash their growth plans in Brazil and focus more on Mexico and Colombia. Brazilians salaries are incerdibly high and labour laws not flexible.

Back