Argentina versus Uruguay

The vast majority of tourists to Uruguay are from Argentina. And they will keep going because its close, convenient, they can get familiar food, the beaches are nice, and its family tradition. Many Argentines own vacation homes in Uruguay, in non-crime areas- not the poor suburbs of Montevideo, but Jose Ignacio and La Pedrera. 2.5 million Argentines went there in 2017, Its true that tourism was down in 2019, but I think that has more to do with the Argentine economy than fears of crime.

Probably. But still, the same logic applies: if the media starts reporting an increase in crime, especially against Argentines, tourism will decrease, not matter how safe the place is.

I doubt that. For instance, I know several Argentines who own homes there- in Colonia, or Punta Ballena, or Balneario, or Jose Ignacio. None of em are going to pay attention to "the media" about this- they are going, every year, regardless, and, if their full time neighbors tell them its more dangerous, they may buy webcams, but the idea of not going for the month to Uruguay is not even considered, until you see Portenos being machinegunned in downtown Punta, which, clearly, is not happening. Most of the uptick in crime in Uruguay is taking place in lower middle class neighborhoods of Montevideo, and in the Brazilian border smuggling towns of Rivera and Chu.
Its certainly not good, but its effect on Cabo Polonia or La Barra is really minimal.
In January of this year, I was on the beach, and there were still plenty of wealthy argentines oblivious to the drug related crimes taking place in La Paloma Tomkinson.
I literally saw Argentine movie stars wearing rolexes leave their purses on the beach while swimming.
Its going to have to get a lot worse before the reports of crime affect those people.

But for the average Argentine, if their income drops 30% due to inflation- THAT will make them skip their trip to Uruguay.

Montevideo after a few days feels depressing . Many people have said the same and most expats leave for this reason . Arequipa Peru is the opposite It uplifts the soul and never feels boring nor depressing

Montevideo the highest cost of living in Latin america? South America'

Montevideo the highest cost of living in Latin america? South America'

Yes very expensive and properties are ridiculuously expensive for a city with so little tourism . Pocitos , Punta Carretas , Carrasco good properties go from US$ 5,000 a metre .

Back