Argentina's debt to IMF is greater than what Elon Musk paid for Twitter

I do not see the comparison. I pay less for my mortgage than Argentina to the IMF... As far as I know Argentina is still bigger than Twitter.

Sorry for replying to an old thread, I only realized after posting.

I do not see the comparison. I pay less for my mortgage than Argentina to the IMF... As far as I know Argentina is still bigger than Twitter.

For the second part, not a problem! We have seen people on these forums necro threads from 7 years ago, or more, and no complaint was lodged.

For the first part, obviously I disagree with you. Given the global importance of Twitter, and the unimportant nature of Argentina, I think it's a valid comparison. I see it as an absolutely horrific thing that Macri bequeathed such a massive debt to the Argentine people, especially given the hidden side of it - that Macri and his rich buddies were the primary beneficiaries of that debt. He borrowed billions of dollars, sold them for pesos, allegedly to "support the peso" and it was the rich oligarchs who mostly traded their pesos for dollars. The average purchase under that scheme was for over a million pesos, which isn't jack squat today, but was still a sizable amount during the Macri regime.

Macri and his hyper-rich buddies reaped huge profits, and the Argentina people were saddled with an enormous debt.

The man is scum of the earth, and that's even before we talk about that Panama Papers business. Or Correo Argentino. Or his crooked deals with the construction companies owned by his best buddy Nicky Caputo.

I think the comparison is that maybe the value of both investments today are equal, hahaha

Both Elon Musk and Argentine politicians have taken once thriving and globally important entities and have through their actions managed to mismanage them to the point where they are but shadows of their former selves and have no one but themselves to blame for their arrogance and incompetence - though of course they blame everyone but themselves for their mismanagement.

Back