Argentine Airlines flight from Spain to BA hit severe turbulence.

D.B. Cooper

Registered
An Argentine Airlines flight from Spain to BA hit severe turbulence. Upon landing at EZE Some passengers had to be treated at a local hospital. I always keep my seatbelt on, but sooner or later everybody has to hit the can.

Yet some people still don’t like wearing their seatbelt when seated (whether on a plane or in their car…) thinking the rules of gravity don’t apply to them either… turbulence can hit without warning and usually the turbulence without warning is the worst kind.

Anyway these stories always heighten my biggest fear when flying of hitting sudden turbulence while taking a pee and snapping my neck inside one of those tiny restrooms.

I do have to admit, I have taken my chances when flying, at times, I did not have my seatbelt on when seated. After hearing about this story, that will change now, even on my flights to San Pablo or Iguazu....

Must admit there is a section of the transatlantic on the way to Brazil that is horrendously turbulent. Even as a frequent flyer it always makes me very anxious
I feel like I hit that patch earlier this year coming back from Europe between Dakar and Recife; first time traveling across the Southern Atlantic and it got quite bumpy; US and Canada to Europe had always been uneventful.

One of the worst moments of turbulence I encountered was crossing the Gobi Desert on the way to Beijing in a 747; even though I've flown a plane myself and know the wings are built for stress, seeing them flap like a goose while everything was shaking was a bit unsettling to say the least.

It called the Intertropical Convergence Zone and it's important enough to have its own Wiki:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intertropical_Convergence_Zone

The reports in the press about this event have some passengers claiming that the "fasten seatbelt" lights weren't on, however, on https://avherald.com/h?article=4ffdb350&opt=0 it states "According to what was reported by the crew, the seat belt indicator signs were on and the corresponding announcement had been made. The passengers who were the most compromised and who were the ones who had to be transferred, were not wearing their seat belts at the time of the turbulence." and also that some passengers were wandering around the aisles and the galley (entirely possible with Argentinian passengers and seatbelt signs on). I wonder which version is true?

And here's another one, not an intercontinental flight, but just a short hop across the continent. This one was a doozy, looks like the plane couldn't land in Asuncion because of bad weather (did a go-around from less than 1000m), and diverted safely to Foz in Brazil, Then after 3 hours it took off again for Asuncion, flew through a thunderstorm, lost the nose cone (must have been hailstones in there), had both engines flame out, restarted one, and finally landed on one engine with the emergency turbine deployed in Asuncion. Nobody injured, I bet everyone was strapped in (except the ex-model, see below) this time.

https://www.infobae.com/america/ame...ientras-iba-santiago-de-chile-hasta-asuncion/ (an excellent example of Argentinian "journalism": light on details and wastes half the column on an interview with an ex-model / farandulera)

Back