Argentine Alien Resident = Mercosur?

JessePB3

Registered
Hi Everybody,

So I am still planning on obtaining Argentine residency through my daughter who is a citizen...

Just wondering if being an alien Argentine resident allows me to work in other countries in MercoSur.

Thanks and seeya soon, Argentina!

Jesse

I doubt it. For instance, I don't think an Argentine resident could legally work in Brazil without Brazilian residency.

Yes every full member of Mercosur is perfectly able to work legally in other countrys of the union, that why so many Uruguayans and Brazilian live in Buenos Aires and work with the same status as locals do, not so many Argentinians live in Brazil but that is more because not many Argentinians care to learn portuguese and because salaries in general are lower in Brazil unless you have a University tittle in something that is needed there. You need a change of address in the inmigration when you move to another country but that is a very easy and quick process

Jessie

From my understanding, the answer is No.

Your Permanent Residency card will have your country of origin on it and say "extranjero" across the top. It's my understanding that you need to be an actual citizen of a MERCOSUR country to work in Brazil and it will be obvious from the card you will have that you are not (the Brazilian authority uses that card as a point of reference)

As Iamarque said, there are many Uruguayans that live in Argentina and work, however it's also my understanding that they probably went through the process to obtain an "DNI" with the Argentine government to legally work here.... The Mercosur card just allowed them to come. You would have to do that through the Brazilian government and most likely would be denied if you don't have an Argentine spouse working there with you (which grants you temp. residency) or have some other type of visa granting temp. residency specifically for Brazil.

I might have changed or there could be another way, but I had the same question for myself a year or so back and I found different resources that explained this.

Jessie

From my understanding, the answer is No.

Your Permanent Residency card will have your country of origin on it and say "extranjero" across the top. It's my understanding that you need to be an actual citizen of a MERCOSUR country to work in Brazil and it will be obvious from the card you will have that you are not (the Brazilian authority uses that card as a point of reference)

As Iamarque said, there are many Uruguayans that live in Argentina and work, however it's also my understanding that they probably went through the process to obtain an "DNI" with the Argentine government to legally work here.... The Mercosur card just allowed them to come. You would have to do that through the Brazilian government and most likely would be denied if you don't have an Argentine spouse working there with you (which grants you temp. residency) or have some other type of visa granting temp. residency specifically for Brazil.

I might have changed or there could be another way, but I had the same question for myself a year or so back and I found different resources that explained this.

I have a permanant residency, and extranjero is not written on my DNI. Am I able to go in Mercosur countries and work? answer is simple NO. I can go there as a visitor but I can not work until and unless I am going there for studies, simple as that. All the people who come here in BA from Mercosur countries they come here for studies and get work permit later.

Hi Everybody,

So I am still planning on obtaining Argentine residency through my daughter who is a citizen...

Just wondering if being an alien Argentine resident allows me to work in other countries in MercoSur.

Thanks and seeya soon, Argentina!

Jesse

You need citizenship for that. After getting permanent residency, apply for citizenship. Having permanent residency, you can do it yourself.

Can I visit neighbouring mercosur member countries as a tourist if I have DNI mentioning extranjero?

I have a permanant residency, and extranjero is not written on my DNI.

What does your DNI begin with? DNIs don't actually say extranjero but the do say your country of origin, and if you're foreign born your DNI, unless it was processed years and years ago, will begin 94.

Back