Argentine-American Visiting Casa

TheBagpiper

Registered
Hi All,

I'm probably a "reverse" expat: I was born in BA, moved to the U.S. and became a U.S. citizen. Now I'm visiting family in BA for a while and I'm unsure whether to use my American or Argentine passport...I did this in the past without any issues but now I'm hearing that Migraciones asks for the DNI to "prove" that one is Argentininian (though the American passport indicates that indeed I was born there) and does avoid the $ 160 entry fee. What's the deal?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, you have to travel with your DNI or you will be charged the fee. My cousin had that exact problem last year.

Thank you Nikad,

All I can say is "wow".

Oh well, I won't get into politics discussions here, hehe

Cheers!

Not only that. You are required by law in MOST countries to enter with your passport for that specific country if you are it's citizen. Failure to do so will get you in trouble in some places in some others REAL trouble. In your case since you were CLEARLY born in Buenos Aires then it would be too obvious. Forget the entry fee, if Argentine law fits this pattern then you might not only have to pay the fee, you might also get a hefty fine or something worse. I know this because I have 3 passports and I always have to enter the countries for which I hold passports with the passports for those countries, if that made any sense.

Your mileage may very.
I was born in B.A. and a naturalized U.S. Citizen.
I come to B.A. and go with my U.S. Passport.
I am given a 180 day Visa and have been cautioned, by the immigration person, if I over stay to leave with an Argentine passport.
I am not charged a “Gringo Tax”.
internationalguy is correct don’t even think of using any thing other than a U.S. passport, if you have one, to enter Yankelandia.

Back