Argentine Citizenship Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

katiem

Registered
Hi Everyone,

Ive been living in Argentina since January 2011 and would like to apply for citizenship here (Im australian) but Im still abit confused about the rules surrounding this, and was hoping perhaps there was someone here thats been through the process who can offer me some advice/ info.

To explain some more, since April (2012) have not renewed my tourist visa. Before that I was leaving the country regularly every 90 days, sometimes just for the day and sometimes for a week or so. The longest time spent out of the country was 3 weeks.

My confusion starts here. Some people have said that to gain residency you need to be living in the country for a number of years however I cant seem to find any information as to whether doing a 'visa run' means re-starting this 'time living here'. The alternative would seem contradictory; that you can apply for citizenship here if you break the terms of your tourist visa and stay for 5 years without leaving, although nothing here really surprises me anymore :)

Also, to prove you have been living here, is it enough to show your passport stamps or do you need to prove you have been leasing a property etc

Any help is appreciated to help clarify this.

Saludos
Katie

Katiem, You have been living here more than long enough to start the citizenship application. Your tourist visa doesn't matter. The date you first entered Argentina started the clock and you already have two years. Doing visa runs or leaving for three weeks doesn't matter.

Since you don't have temporary or permanent residency (and a DNI), your immigration status is irregular and you will need a lawyer if you hope to become a ciudania.

Christian Rubilar (Bajo_cero2) is the one to contact.

Katiem, the laws regarding citizenship are ley 346 and decree 3213/84. They request to be 18 years old, to have been living 24 months in Argentina, to have an honest way of living and that you have a clean criminal record in the last 5 years. However, judges enforce abolished laws and invented many requirements. You can apply by yourself and depending on who is your judge, your case can be rejected in 20 seconds, delay 5 year, be freezed or, if you are very lucky,to become a citizen in 7 months.
There is a lot of info in that thread but I suggest you read it in reverse.
There is some more info in my website too.
Regards

Hello everyone,
I just have a very quick question regarding the documents I need to get a work visa (i'm from the uk). I've looked through the thread recommended above but I cant find the info I'm after! I understand that I need to get a criminal record check done, does this need to be signed by a by a solicitor or notary before I can get the apostille?
I'd be hugely grateful for any advice you can give me or if perhaps there is a better place to post this question!
Thanks a lot!

posie that thread is for people who can and want to apply for citizenship. Look through the forum and you'll find plenty of information on getting a visa and what documents you need.

You can also start your own thread instead of using this one.

Thankyou for your replies - its given me some information and contacts to move on with the process :)

Hi SteveInBsAs, Pretty sure you were on the road to becoming a citizen a couple of years ago. How has that gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back