Argentine Highways And Routes..something To Dream About..

estebandepraga

Registered
I heard on an Argentine radio program this am on Radio Mitre that in 1935 when the USA was planning highways and numbering of the routes, in the US Congress, it was proposed that they(the Americans) study the Argentine system as it was one worth copying!
some 80 years later, I wonder why ANYONE, including the most undeveloped coutries, would want to emulate it? Sad, isn't it?
Most great countries, of which Argentina could easily be one as it was in its glorious past, have progressed in so many ways and we, have have we gone? Backwards when all in so many places is going forward. The U$D is going up against all mayor currencies, here it falls!
Petrol or gasoline prices have been slashed at most pumps and here it increases! Have there been a few "progressive steps forward, Yes!
But it; is 2 forward and 1 1/2 back.

The first highway ever was invented in Italy, and now, some 80 years later, we have an expensive and corrupted highway system.
Oddly enough, in northern and central Italy you have to pay a toll to ride highways, whereas in south Italy they didn't even bother to put a tolling system in place, since nobody would ever pay to ride on highways.

Highways are privatized and each company sets their fares, the ones around Milan (north Italy) being the most expensive, as well as the ones connecting Milan to the coastal Liguria.
Believe it or not, this was one of the reason we left Italy. Enjoying Italy was becoming an economic blood bath, where just the toll accounted for over $40 on a weekend, plus $120 of gas, another $10 for parking, etc. We simply stopped making tourism in Italy and headed north, to Austria, Slovenia, Germany, etc. where the services are cheaper and better.

My country is a beautiful country, a really stunning beauty with lakes, seas, mountains, history, nature, etc. but we managed to scare all the tourists away, nonetheless. We just needed to PRESERVE what we were gifted, instead of letting it rot (Pompei ruins), or get covered with vegetation (many Roman ruins), or close it on Monday despite the millions of tourist travelling across the world to visit our beauties (any Roman museum, Fora included).
We have an unemployment rate of 40% among youngsters (less than 35 y.o. - that's me!) and I truly believe that if it wasn't for the EU, we would have already fallen in ruin.

We had a great chance to improve our image with EXPO 2015, which is going to open its door in less than a month (May 1st). And guess what happened... since May 1st is labour day, the main orchestra of my country (La Scala's) is refusing to work on May 1st. They were offered an extra vacation day at a later day, they were also going to be paid more for working on a national holiday, but they refused.

There are websites collecting the ridiculous translations into English provided for the international crowd. We held conferences in Italian without any interpreting because we wanted to save money. I have been seeing many translation ads on the main translation website out there looking for translators for EXPO materials, but they are calling for student of foreign languages to pay crappy rates. (I am talking about students native in Italian to translate into German, French, English and Spanish!)

It is really a shame how we can turn anything (ANYTHING!) into shit.
I feel for you Esteban, when I read about the former Argentina in its glory days it sounds like the US during the boom, so much potential, resources, a clean slate. And now it is turning into a giant villa. Such a pity!

I heard on an Argentine radio program this am on Radio Mitre that in 1935 when the USA was planning highways and numbering of the routes, in the US Congress, it was proposed that they(the Americans) study the Argentine system as it was one worth copying!
some 80 years later, I wonder why ANYONE, including the most undeveloped coutries, would want to emulate it? Sad, isn't it?
Most great countries, of which Argentina could easily be one as it was in its glorious past, have progressed in so many ways and we, have have we gone? Backwards when all in so many places is going forward. The U$D is going up against all mayor currencies, here it falls!
Petrol or gasoline prices have been slashed at most pumps and here it increases! Have there been a few "progressive steps forward, Yes!
But it; is 2 forward and 1 1/2 back.
The republican congress in the USA, because of their hatred of Obama is punishing him and the American people by refusing to fund any investment in the infrastructure of the US. There are over 12,000 bridges that are literally falling down. Not to mention roads, tunnels, pipes, etc. The US seems to be following Argentina again.

T/

The republican congress in the USA, because of their hatred of Obama is punishing him and the American people by refusing to fund any investment in the infrastructure of the US. There are over 12,000 bridges that are literally falling down. Not to mention roads, tunnels, pipes, etc. The US seems to be following Argentina again.

T/
DE-FUND CONGRESS!

T/

On a side note, when a bridge is falling down, don't replace it with a tunnel.

well as you all know the old saying
if it ain't broken, don't fix iy
here it is
if it's broken, don't fix it! maybe be true with much in American infrastructure now, too, as I hear! :(

Back