Argentine history

Gringoboy

Registered
My personal connection with Argentina goes back to 1974 when I lived here as a teenager, albeit under the luxury of being a diplomat's son.
I learned a fair bit during those years, simply from first hand experience, particularly in 1976.
I now ask myself: have things changed very much?
Yes, we have a democracy which has lasted for 30 years, which in itself is no mean feat for Argentina, let's face it.
So I've now started reading about the history of this country, instead of relying on hearsay and flashbacks.
And what an eye opener it truly is!
But where do you start?
I had to start somewhere, so borrowed 'Lopez Rega', La biografia from my mother in law.
This book is a portrait of many players from the mid 40's to mid 70's and has opened my eyes in many ways.
I would certainly like to read about Argentina before those years, either in Spanish or English.
Essentially, all I am really saying is that learning about the history of this country and it's previous turbulence, puts many of it's current woes into sharp perspective.

I didn't know any Argentine history... :p

When I met my Argentine husband I had no idea Argentina was a leading consumer/exporter of beef... I didn't know what the Falklands/Malvinas were (aside from a one line text in my 5th grade history book mentioning the Falkland War)... and... worst of all... I had never heard of Maradona. :eek:

I'm still a work in progress, but I have attended a history class here with a very interesting professor... apart from the online reading and watching of documentaries. It may just be me, but I feel that either a lot of history has been lost or most likely whitewashed with time. Finding information on San Martin, for instance, is a lot more difficult than reading about George Washington or researching how life was during colonial times.

BienTeVeo said:
My historian wife recommends this:

Luis Alberto Romero: A History of Argentina in the 20th Century

It is indeed an excellent book and recommendation but to really understand Argentinean, you also need to read the pre 1860 period.
Tulio Halperín Donghi is also an excellent source.

expatinowncountry said:
It is indeed an excellent book and recommendation but to really understand Argentinean, you also need to read the pre 1860 period.
Tulio Halperín Donghi is also an excellent source.

There was lots of running off, or tracking down and killing, your political rival during this time, pero bueno. Estatuas para todos!

Thanks for this post. Funny how little is spoken about in Argentina about the first 250 years of European occupation only the last 200 years ;-)

There are several good articles in the Arg Indie which examine the transition from colony. Several of the early creole leaders were keen to establish their own monarchy. Maybe a reccuring theme today with Cristina in the news suggesting that the legitimate impeachment of a President next door in Paraguay was somehow an illegal coup d'état

http://www.argentinaindependent.com/life-style/society-life-style/bicentenary-the-may-revolution/

There is a lot of interesting material around.

Pertinent for current understanding I'd strongly recommend a comprehensive and comprehendable book that is brief enough to be able to carry in a pocket:

Argentina: A Short History
by Colin M. Lewis ISBN 1851683003 (1-85168-300-3)
Softcover, Oneworld Publications

Professor Colin Lewis is an economic historian at the LSE and most recently I met him at the Anglo-Argentine Society at Canning House. He has taught/researched at UBA and this book is available in Argentina - students I have taught (Argentine) had already come across this from school in both history and economics.

Hope you find this useful.

Second that thanks. I am looking forward to reading up on Argentine history so its great to have some personal recommendations!

PhilinBSAS said:
Thanks for this post. Funny how little is spoken about in Argentina about the first 250 years of European occupation only the last 200 years ;-)

There are several good articles in the Arg Indie which examine the transition from colony. Several of the early creole leaders were keen to establish their own monarchy. Maybe a reccuring theme today with Cristina in the news suggesting that the legitimate impeachment of a President next door in Paraguay was somehow an illegal coup d'état

http://www.argentinaindependent.com/life-style/society-life-style/bicentenary-the-may-revolution/

There is a lot of interesting material around.

Pertinent for current understanding I'd strongly recommend a comprehensive and comprehendable book that is brief enough to be able to carry in a pocket:

Argentina: A Short History
by Colin M. Lewis ISBN 1851683003 (1-85168-300-3)
Softcover, Oneworld Publications

Professor Colin Lewis is an economic historian at the LSE and most recently I met him at the Anglo-Argentine Society at Canning House. He has taught/researched at UBA and this book is available in Argentina - students I have taught (Argentine) had already come across this from school in both history and economics.

Hope you find this useful.
Yes, it was very interesting for me to discover that Belgrano, who is now celebrated and revered, was actually a monarchist!

Back