Argentine Law On Short-Term Holiday Rentals

Sockhopper

Registered
Has the government of Argentina or BsAs proposed or implemented any regime of legal limtations (eg accompanied by fines for breach upon property owners) who conduct this popular practice (and which I've used there many times)?

Not that I know of...if San Francisco can't manage it, I woukdbt worry too much about BA. The most likely thing is that owners would have to collect and pay the transient/hotel/tourist tax at some point, like hotels do.

All apartment buildings here have a reglamento which states what the owner may do with the apartment. AirB&B uses may not qualify as a legal use. If it doesn't, and the guests make themselves obvious, you can be sure that other owners will start to complain and take legal action.

There have been rumblings from the Hoteliers but nothing has actually happened. As La Fluer mentioned, the biggest issue will be the reglamentos. If the other owners in the building want to shut you down they can, or at least make your life legal hell. Best to be very nice to them if you intend to rent short-term. :)

There has been rumblings from the Hoteliers but nothing has actually happened. As La Fluer mentioned, the biggest issue will be the reglamentos. If the other owners in the building want to shut you down they can, or at least make your life legal hell. Best to be very nice to them if you intend to rent short-term. :)
It is vital to be nice with them, be part of the community.

Or choose your clients well hehe. I have a friend who recently sold his apartment, which he was using as a temporary rental. The big problem were the people who rented it. Seems foreigners (of all nationalities) like to come here to party, and they can be very disruptive. Stories of guests getting out of the elevator drunk on the wrong floor, beating on the door of the apartment they think is theirs when their key doesn't open the door, as if the door will magically open. Noise, carousing at all hours (of course, it's been my experience the Argentinos like noise when they generate it themselves - but it's their noise, not visitors'), etc.

The building consortium fined the owner a couple of thousand pesos each month which he fought legally and won (after two years), but it caused a lot of problems with the owners in the building. Including the neighbor across the hall, who continually reported that the guests were peeing outside the door - and the odor went along with his complaints. But the owner of the apartment in question realized that it was impossible that every guest who checked into his apartment was peeing before they could make it to the bathroom, so he put up a camera and caught the neighbor across the hall peeing on the door and the mat outside the door...

This was in Recoleta, Callao and Posadas. A really nice place.

Yeah, you could end up in some issues if you have poorly-behaved guests, which is pretty likely with short term rentals. It makes it hard to be part of the community.

It depends on the consorcio and the local government.
Here in San Martin de los Andes, tourism is of course very important, so they started a sort of registry, where AirBnB and other non-official lodgers could register themselves and pay a low fee.

Of course they had to stop it as non of the intended users actually registered, but all of the official hotels did, so they could pay less :)

The local consorcio may have rules. We might have to stop our AirBnB here. With current rent, it is actually more profitable to rent out long-term now, but I will miss the opportunity to have a place for friends and relatives. Though I might try to convince the consorcio neighbours that they can choose to have either 4 months of tourists who normally spend all day outside on the top floor of the building or a family of 4 for 24/7, 12 months per year...

Back