Argentine (Milk) Induced Hives

LAtoBA

Registered
I developed what appeared to be an allergic reaction to the milk here after about a month of drinking it. I first noticed very large and itchy welts that would sporadically appear on my arms, neck, and upper thighs--mostly my arms. At first I thought they were mosquito bites...except that this was in late June early July, the dead of winter. Also my roommates weren't getting bit and I did not notice any mosquitoes in the apartment.

Through a process of elimination and since getting bit by mosquitoes, I figured out it was the milk. I've unsuccessfully tried to introduce it back into my diet here, but the welts always come, albeit a few days later. I should stress I was only getting two or three welts a day, but they were pretty big and itched a lot. I've since switched to soy and things are much better.

I'm curious if others have had this problem. Also, I should stress I never had this problem in the US (as recent as May of this year) so I know it has to be something about the milk here. Maybe I should add that I've always had very sensitive skin, including eczema as a kid. I wonder if my sensitive skin is picking up something not so good in the milk here.....oh well not a big loss, except that I like cereal.

I had a German friend who came and went often here over the course of two years. Every time she came she would get welts exactly like you mentioned. She always assumed/claimed it was from the water, for whatever reason. Maybe it was the milk! Unfortunately she probably won't be coming back so we can't do any investigations...

nativexpat said:
No rashes - but Sancor milk makes my stomach uncomfortable ...

Me too. I don't get allergic reactions but I do find the milk extremely difficult to digest, probably because it's so highly processed.

I try to avoid dairy in Argentina, but weird things do happen to my skin there (frequent breakouts, flushed cheeks, occasional red marks across my back, chest, and shoulders.) I also woke up several times in the middle in the night due to a very itchy, watery eye. Never figured out whether it was due to the water, chocolate, air quality, crappy synthetic skincare products, but my skin always clears up as soon as I return to the U.S. <shrug>

Back