Argentine Movies--Reviews In English

Montauk_Project

Registered
As some of you know, I run a blog in English about the local film and TV industry called Filming in Argentina. If you are looking for a film to practice you Spanish this weekend, I suggest the comedy "Vino para Robar" which takes place in beautiful Mendoza wine country:
http://filminginargentina.wordpress.com/2013/08/21/vino-para-robar/
I will keep in updating this thread.
Also, if you have any topics you want us to blog about, please let us know (older films, industry news, TV shows, etc).

Next week the new Darin film hits theaters, and it is a thriller, Septimo!
Catalan filmmaker Patxi Amezcua makes his Argentine debut with Seventh (Séptimo, 2013), his second movie, an Argentine-Spanish co-production and vehicle for two of the highest-grossing actors in each country’s market, Ricardo Darín and Belén Rueda. They play a marriage on the rocks whose two kids vanish without a trace while taking the stairs in their apartment building, somewhere between the ground floor and their flat on the seventh.

http://filminginargentina.wordpress.com/2013/08/29/septimo/

Thanks to a recommendation from someone on the forum I started reading El Jardin Bronce, The plot of this movie initially reminded me of it, arguing couple , kid (only one) disappeared. Assume no link between the two?

I dont know why, but I dont like Darin that much. Although hes a great actor, I like much Luppi or Alterio or Alcon, I consider them more important and better actors.
I ve been reading your blog, and liked it. Very complete. :)

Regards.-

@MatiasBA - Thanks. I like Darin but there is one actor (I won´t name who) who is in a lot of movies and I don´t like his on screen presence, so I understand. @Dublin2BuenosAires - No idea, but that is a good question! if I find out anything I will let you know.

Ahh great blog, just what I was looking for in fact! It's a great way for me to train my Spanish, and one of my favourite things about relocating to other countries is getting to know the local cinema. Haven't had time to thoroughly read all articles yet, but I found some reviews very helpful already - will be checking out Elefante Blanco first.

Keep up the good work!

Dont let that be the first movie with Darin that you watch! There are many more entertaining films he has starred in with stronger performances ! Wouldn't be my first choice.

Also not his best, but a very accessible movie for those who aren't fluent is "Un Cuento Chino"...the co star doesnt speak any Spanish in the movie...it was the first Argentine movie I watched in the cinema without subtitles. It's a good confidence builder and the movie is not without it's charms either.

I found Darin stronger performance in "el hijo de la novia" also starred with the best argentine actress, Norma Aleandro.
I consider this film far better than anyone of the last 5-10 years, much more better than "el secreto de sus ojos" and all that soft crap he has been doing lately.
One of my favourites movies of all time.

edit: didnt watch "un cuento chino"

Back