Argentine Stock

searchandbuild

Registered
I know very little about how the stock market works. My questions may seem silly but hopefully someone can help me out here. Can I buy Argentine stocks in cash (pesos) through like a broker and then sell them at the official rate (5.10ARS to 1USD) back in New York (where I'm from and keep a permanent address)? If I can get 7800 pesos for every thousand bucks does that mean that when I sell 7800 pesos worth of mercadolibre stock I'd be getting 1,540 dollars before all the brokerage fees? I've tried to do some research but can't get any concrete information. Thanks in advance.

(disclosure: there is no way in hell I can prove to any government how I make my money. also, these numbers are hypothetical, i don't know if someone could buy as little as 7800 pesos in stock)

It can be done, yes. However if you cannot prove the source of your funds and do not have everything en blanco, you most likely won´t be able to pull it off. Also, to operate with a local broker you need a local bank account, they will not take cash.

I know very little about how the stock market works. My questions may seem silly but hopefully someone can help me out here. Can I buy Argentine stocks in cash (pesos) through like a broker and then sell them at the official rate (5.10ARS to 1USD) back in New York (where I'm from and keep a permanent address)? If I can get 7800 pesos for every thousand bucks does that mean that when I sell 7800 pesos worth of mercadolibre stock I'd be getting 1,540 dollars before all the brokerage fees? I've tried to do some research but can't get any concrete information. Thanks in advance.

(disclosure: there is no way in hell I can prove to any government how I make my money. also, these numbers are hypothetical, i don't know if someone could buy as little as 7800 pesos in stock)

It is more complex than what you are saying. First, if you don't have a way to prove how you are making money, you are looking for problems. Why? Because you could be flagged by everyone that matters as a potentially tax-evader or money launderer. I mean.. I don't think you are doing it, but you could be earning money by selling drugs, guns or being involved in human trafficking. You could be doing this to try to enter ilegal money into the financial market. In my experience, you don't need to declare how you are making money, but you need to be able to show it if anyones points the finger and you and demands for explanations. Especially now in Argentina. Besides, all transactions are done using a Bank Account, no cash.

Regarding you other question, private companies -and also the government-, can issue stocks and bonds into the stock market. Some of them trade both in Argentina and for example, Wall Street. The thing is that they don't have the same value as you are stating, they are not ruled by the official price put in argentina (or US for that matter). It's done by the stock market, the amount of buyers and sellers that show how much they think a security it's worth. That's why one day Apple is trading at 700 USD and today is at 430. A stock dealing here at 800 ARS could be dealing in the US at 100 USD por example. Actually, an article from La Nacion from last friday showed that this type of transaction (contado con liqui) is trading at its historic maximum price of 8,25 (Link). They are doing an average of course.

For example, let's say you buy stock from Tenaris in Arg at today's price, 167,50 ARS (Link). This same stock, the ADR, is trading in US at 40,86 USD (Link). You ask your broker in argentina to convert the local stocks into ADR. They will "forward" these stocks into your brokerage account in US so you can sell them there in NYSE or NASDAQ depending where is trading. The problem is that the convert ratio is not 1:1, in Tenaris's case, it's 2:1. This means.. if you bought 100 stocks in Arg, you will have 50 ADRs in USA. You had to pay 16,750 ARS for only 2,043 USD. A rate of about.. 8,19 for every dolar.

Of course, add the fees of both Argentina and the US brokerage companies because they are making money for each transaction. This is just a quick example.. but it can help you to see how it works. Banco Macro is trading in the US at 15,92 USD and in Argentina at 12,90 ARS.. but the conversion rate (I don't know if its called like this) it's 10:1. So.. this means a dolar at 8,10, really far from 5.

I hope this helps.

Regards..

It is more complex than what you are saying. First, if you don't have a way to prove how you are making money, you are looking for problems. Why? Because you could be flagged by everyone that matters as a potentially tax-evader or money launderer. I mean.. I don't think you are doing it, but you could be earning money by selling drugs, guns or being involved in human trafficking. You could be doing this to try to enter ilegal money into the financial market. In my experience, you don't need to declare how you are making money, but you need to be able to show it if anyones points the finger and you and demands for explanations. Especially now in Argentina. Besides, all transactions are done using a Bank Account, no cash.

Regarding you other question, private companies -and also the government-, can issue stocks and bonds into the stock market. Some of them trade both in Argentina and for example, Wall Street. The thing is that they don't have the same value as you are stating, they are not ruled by the official price put in argentina (or US for that matter). It's done by the stock market, the amount of buyers and sellers that show how much they think a security it's worth. That's why one day Apple is trading at 700 USD and today is at 430. A stock dealing here at 800 ARS could be dealing in the US at 100 USD por example. Actually, an article from La Nacion from last friday showed that this type of transaction (contado con liqui) is trading at its historic maximum price of 8,25 (Link). They are doing an average of course.

For example, let's say you buy stock from Tenaris in Arg at today's price, 167,50 ARS (Link). This same stock, the ADR, is trading in US at 40,86 USD (Link). You ask your broker in argentina to convert the local stocks into ADR. They will "forward" these stocks into your brokerage account in US so you can sell them there in NYSE or NASDAQ depending where is trading. The problem is that the convert ratio is not 1:1, in Tenaris's case, it's 2:1. This means.. if you bought 100 stocks in Arg, you will have 50 ADRs in USA. You had to pay 16,750 ARS for only 2,043 USD. A rate of about.. 8,19 for every dolar.

Of course, add the fees of both Argentina and the US brokerage companies because they are making money for each transaction. This is just a quick example.. but it can help you to see how it works. Banco Macro is trading in the US at 15,92 USD and in Argentina at 12,90 ARS.. but the conversion rate (I don't know if its called like this) it's 10:1. So.. this means a dolar at 8,10, really far from 5.

I hope this helps.

Regards..

Very good your posting. Also need to mention that some? established time must elapse between the buy and sell times, can not be immediate? Anyone interested should contact a stock broker, Agente de Bolsa en Bs.As.

[background=rgb(255, 248, 231)]www.bullmarketbrokers.com/[/background]

http://www.fdinternational.com.ar/alertas/contado-con-liquidacion/

The above info is all correct. You must wait 72 hs before you sell the stock. This operation is known as contado con liqui, when you are looking to get dollars out of the country in a legal way, or contado con liqui inverso, when you are trying to get the most pesos on your dollars.

@Inferno. Thanks for the detailed insight, brother. I had no idea that the same stocks varied market to market with regard to price. I was under the impression that the market was an internationally streamlined machine. I am truly naive when it comes to things like this.

The basic idea is that if you want to bring money into the country, and do it this way, you get a bit over 8 pesos on the dollar, but if yuo want to send money out of the country you pay a bit over 8 pesos on the dollar. The only advantage is that this is all legal and en blanco, but for those in need of getting dollars to travel back home your best bet is the blue dollar cos it is cheaper: blue dollar 7.8$, ccl dollar or dolar fuga: 8.2$

Back