Argentine Tax Question

Ronnie Hotdogs

Registered
I have recently got permanent residency in Argentina and would like to understand what my tax liabilities are.

I work abroad and come and go from Argentina usually spending no more than 25/26 days in the country and then away for around 30 days, 28/28 rotation for my work.

I understand that I am liable for taxes on my global income?

I don’t have a DNI or CUIT/CUIL yet and am wondering when I would be liable for tax?

I’m paid in USD and at the moment my salary goes to a non Argentine bank account.
Wondering about the best way to manage this. I don’t have an Argentine bank account yet either.

I claim no professional expertise in this, but have done plenty of research over recent months. Based on that, and on the information you have provided, I would be quietly confident in saying that as long as you don't exceed 180 days in the tax year in Argentina your income and any assets/wealth you maintain outside Argentina will be exempt from tax in Argentina in that year.

How you actually realize that (e.g., whether you have to complete a tax declaration and claim exemption, or simply lie low and not reveal yourself, once you have your CUIT/CUIL) I don't know. I imagine you could just lie low; but, if you were to buy a property here (which would be subject to the wealth tax no matter how you managed your in-Argentina time) then you would have to do a tax declaration each year to AFIP.

I have recently got permanent residency in Argentina and would like to understand what my tax liabilities are.
It would be best to talk to an accountant. I understand that once you declare Argentine residency, you are liable for taxes, regardless of the time spent in the country. That's why an accountant friend advises her foreign clients to stay here as tourists.

Last edited:

I work abroad and come and go from Argentina usually spending no more than 25/26 days in the country and then away for around 30 days, 28/28 rotation for my work.

I understand that I am liable for taxes on my global income?

I don’t have a DNI or CUIT/CUIL yet and am wondering when I would be liable for tax?

I’m paid in USD and at the moment my salary goes to a non Argentine bank account.
Wondering about the best way to manage this. I don’t have an Argentine bank account yet either.

How come you have got permanent residency in Argentina, and yet you do not have a DNI?

I was told I had 30 days to get a DNI but since every Renaper office is closed it’s impossible.

I claim no professional expertise in this, but have done plenty of research over recent months. Based on that, and on the information you have provided, I would be quietly confident in saying that as long as you don't exceed 180 days in the tax year in Argentina your income and any assets/wealth you maintain outside Argentina will be exempt from tax in Argentina in that year.

How you actually realize that (e.g., whether you have to complete a tax declaration and claim exemption, or simply lie low and not reveal yourself, once you have your CUIT/CUIL) I don't know. I imagine you could just lie low; but, if you were to buy a property here (which would be subject to the wealth tax no matter how you managed your in-Argentina time) then you would have to do a tax declaration each year to AFIP.

Everything I’ve read says that as a resident in Argentina I’m liable for Tax on my global income?
Although I suppose if I never get a DNI or bank account here I can just remain ‘unemployed’

There is a difference between being a resident for migration purposes and a resident for tax purposes. You can hold migrations residency (which is the permanent residency you refer to) but not be a tax resident (i.e., AFIP cannot take tax off you). It is very easy to confuse the two. Very often the information available does not make the distinction clear, especially if it is written by an accountant, or by a non-native user of English (or a native user of English who doesn't write very well).

I believe, from your information, that this is your situation, as long as you don't stay too many days in Argentina each year: permanent (migration) resident, but non-resident for tax purposes. Put this another way: Migraciones consider you a resident but AFIP do not consider you a tax resident.

Don't take my word for it: get professional advice. But I think that is what you will discover.

Back